Register free!

Old 05-29-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Fish Tunnel - CMU on their side?

Okay it sounds strange but you are the crew that sees it all the time. I have an architects drawing of a water water feature. It would be basically a 10x20 main section and then a 4x5 raised section in the center and back wall. I want to convert this into a pond with the center raised section to be a bog filter. Looking at how to build this and knowing we have raccoons roaming the 'hood. So the thought is to turn some of the blocks on their side for part of a run to create a fish tunnel to hide from predators. Doing this on the 'raised section' which will be built after the main liner is installed.

Question is does anyone know if the CMU blocks can take the weight in this position? Or have any of you tried this to create something like this? This is not for a koi pond but just to put in a few fish. Hate the raccoons stealing the bird food and do not want to have them dining on the small goldfish?http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Suggestions welcomed! I will have to provide details to the masonry crew or else this is a DIY project.

Thanks
ThomKirby
Old 06-01-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they are not designed to handle the weight on their side but will do it. depending on how mch wall y want to put on it. go to a masonry supplier and find some decorative block maybe. i kind of need a picture or drawing to see what you ant to do. you could always do a pressre test to