Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2010, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Just questions

So i have a few basic questions.

1. What type of clothing do you wear in the hot summer months. The heat is already killing me. I wear jeans and a white t-shirt.

2. How many of you Mow, Edge, hedge, and weed whack for 30? I got this one customer who wants me to do all that for 30. His previous lawn maintenance guys did all that for 30. His front yard is pretty small with lots of bushes and plants. He's getting his backyard finished to have 3 levels with shurbs and plants and was wondering if i should up my rate because of the amount of shrubs and edging? To help give you a better idea each level is 5 feet down and each lvl will have a patio or grass or shrub on it. I'm currently just doing his front yard for 15 hedging. edging, mowing, weed eating. His front is 20 by 20 or something rather small. I end up spending like 2 hours Should I drop him?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It seriously takes you 2 hours to do a 20 x 20 and you're only getting $15? That's not enough money to work at McDonalds, much less conduct your own business, with overhead.

When I price a job, I always guess how long it will take me, and price accordingly. I use a baseline of $35 - $45 an hour, depending on what the job is, and how badly I don't want to do it.

For example, since I'd rather mow than anything else, I'll price a nice, level, easy yard that I think will take an hour at about $35.

However, since I hate flower bed work or hedge/tree trimming, I'll price that kind of work higher to make it worth my time and effort.

You can't possibly last long at $7.50 an hour. After you pay taxes out of that, then deduct your costs of fuel, equipment wear and tear, etc. you must be losing money.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterK2 View Post
You can't possibly last long at $7.50 an hour. After you pay taxes out of that, then deduct your costs of fuel, equipment wear and tear, etc. you must be losing money.
I agree. Youve got to make enough to cover all of your current expenses, taxes, not to mention put money back to replace/repair equipment. Under charging like this is the biggest reason so many guys dont make it more than a season or two.