Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-05-2010, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Fungicide help please

Hey everyone, I have a reoccurring problem every year and have posted about it every year as I'm a bit paranoid since I lost the lawn to brown patch in 08 here.

Last year I posted here but think this ended up being my own doing mowing a bit too low and once I raised the deck it seemed to clear up.

This year I started a thread but probably in the wrong forum here. I have some high resolution pic's uploaded in this thread with links to imageshack for them.

However, the problem is getting worse since I took these photo's and with the dam humidity and constant rain we'll I can see why.

Another 3" here between Thursday into Friday (June 3 & 4) and more rain late evening on Friday and I'll be dammed if I don't hear thunder as I'm typing

Not to mention the fact that it's so humid you can't stay out longer then it did me to take the pic's below without getting soaking wet.

I'm getting a bit desperate here guys, as I said I'm paranoid of fungus since I lost the whole lawn in 08 and I've took all the advice everyone here has given even to the point of aerating last fall, spreading compost to reduce disease and changed my cultural practice and type of fertilizer this year and switched to slow release fertilizer in hopes of preventing what I'm seeing now.
http://home.insightbb.com/~kirk1701/Lawn.htm

I go back to the thread from last year with this and it don't look half as bad as it does now and I'm beginning to see Deja Vo of 08

From the prior threads some say Avoid using fungicides but I'm considering Heritage if thats the right thing to do at this point or am I jumping the gun? And if Heritage how far will the 4 oz bottle cover as I can't find out from the pdf label online. Need to know how much to buy.

Please help, thanks in advance
Attached Images

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-05-2010, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dollar spot. Use baking Soda at a rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon and it will get rid of it. I recently tried it on one of my lawn and it took care of the problem. The fungus will be gone, but the brownish/tan grass will still be there so just rake out the affected grass after about 10 days and repair those spots.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKoester View Post
Dollar spot. Use baking Soda at a rate of 1-2 tablespoons per gallon and it will get rid of it. I recently tried it on one of my lawn and it took care of the problem. The fungus will be gone, but the brownish/tan grass will still be there so just rake out the affected grass after about 10 days and repair those spots.
I sure hope that's not the case

So your saying the damage is done, can't be reversed?

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

In my experiences mowing the turf taller, the grass will outgrow the discoloration however, the disease is still there...........just covered up. Bermuda grass is the same in toleration.
We have treated lawns with chlorthalonil and propiconazole. It is the seasons that bring this stuff on, so prevention is needed. Chlorothalonil is a preventative and propiconazole is a preventative and curative............according to my labels.
Baking Soda is a natural curative concoction and you will need to use a spreading and sticking agent with it.

attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/bakingsoda.html
Old 06-05-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A stihl backpack sprayer will work great. Gives a nice spray.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
In my experiences mowing the turf taller, the grass will outgrow the discoloration however, the disease is still there...........just covered up. Bermuda grass is the same in toleration.
We have treated lawns with chlorthalonil and propiconazole. It is the seasons that bring this stuff on, so prevention is needed. Chlorothalonil is a preventative and propiconazole is a preventative and curative............according to my labels.
Baking Soda is a natural curative concoction and you will need to use a spreading and sticking agent with it.

attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/bakingsoda.html
Thanks Think Green,
I found the label online and from what I can tell so far propiconazole is used in a combination with Heritage no?

Trying to understand as this was on the label:
Quote:
Tank Mixtures - Pesticides
QUALIPRO PROPICONAZOLE 14.3 ME can be tank mixed with ONLY ONE of the
following partners: DACONIL® 2787 Flowable Fungicide or HERITAGE® Fungicide
or Primo MAXX® Turf Growth Regulator. Read the label of DACONIL 2787 Flowable
Fungicide or HERITAGE Fungicide or Primo MAXX Turf Growth Regulator and follow
the precautionary statement, directions for use (rates, diseases controlled and application
intervals) and other restrictions.
I'd try the baking soda but dKoester said it won't help the turf, just rid the turf of the fungus and I'm looking for a curitive Fungicide. However you say baking soda is a curitive measure????

I'm not concerned of price, as I've done put a lot of time and effort and long days getting the yard to where it is now so a couple hundred on a treatment like Heritage would not be out of the question if it will work for me?

Then God created Women
Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

While I have no real experience with cool season turf, I am with Koester and say that it appears to be dollar spot which we do deal with in our bermudas here. For the most part, we fert them and get it to grow out. In extreme cases, we would spray Clearys or Chipco fungicide. Heritage may be labeled for it but it's expensive and may be overkill. Also, it has been my experience that you never get rid of the disease completely. Those spores are always in the system waiting for conditions to be just right fo them to do their thing. Many of these perfect conditions are beyond your control(rain, humidity, temps)

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks Ted,
So if it is indeed Dollar Spot and I've been doing a lot of reading as you can imagine, I hate to lose what I've put into this lawn once again.

Didn't take me long to find this:
Quote:
Dollar Spot: Heritage does not control dollar spot. Heritage is compatible in tank mixes with many
other fungicides that control dollar spot. Always tank mix Heritage with another fungicide that controls
dollar spot when this disease is present.
I guess I'm thinking Brown Patch because that's what's in the back of my mind still from when it was diagnosed the last time. However it was TrueGreen that did the diagnoses without even having got out of the truck so knowing what I know now about TG I guess I can also take that with a grain of salt.

I found Chipco® 26GT fungicide on Southern States web site? Is this the same thing? If so I'll be heading down there 8 AM tomorrow

They also have Chipco® Signature how does this compare?

Thanks in advance

Then God created Women
Old 06-06-2010, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Baking Soda is a curative Kirk. Those spots will be brown until they grow out or get repaired. However, after brown patch you will have to repair those spots if its a cool season non rhizome forming grass. Some fescues form rhizomes.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Kiek:
I am not a believer in Kitchen products for fungus control. Less costly of course. And...furthermore I am from far north of you--no personal experience with brown patch. It looks to me like Prostar(2 oz) and Heritage TL (use at 1 ounce per thousand sq ft) are the best fungicides for Brown Patch.
http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/Diseases/Brown_Patch.aspx

Thiophanate-methyl, and iprodione(Chipco 26019) are also good and probably available at larger garden stores.
It appears the Cleary's 3336 (thiophanate-methyl) is the least costly,
http://www.turfnology.com/ChempricesCOMPARE.pdf

Take the advice of plant pathologists for this disease. Try to irrigate only early in the morning. Water deep and only twice per week to avoid wetting the leaves more than necessary. Disease becomes active in humid weather when nighttime temps remain above 60 degrees. Fungus resistant tall fescue cultivars are a good bet.