Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIWEL View Post
your lawns look good. Are you buisy this year, or about the same? I no you wanted to start a second mowing crew this year.
kind of but i scaled back a bit. right now we have one crew of 2 guys who do the mowing, and im crew 2. i mow 2 days a week or more if it rains, and then I have a part time guy who does all the rest with me. trying to cut costs, last year i took days off to keep the guys hours up. this year im not making that mistake. it costs way too much. payroll is a huge number.

i know many on here will look at others daily gross numbers. when we make $1000+ a day some may think we're doing great. but at the end of the day after all expenses its really not as great as it may seem. i know guys will think "if only i could make that much a day" id be rich. its a fair comment, but its lacking alot of serious thought. if you business cost the exact same as you made that much a day you'd be great. but, as you make more, your expenses go way up. if your solo or working with one guy under you, you will be much more productive than any employees sent out by themselves. my crew of 2 used to be able to do 3+ lawns an hour. lately they have been in the 2-2.5 per hour range. that is hardly enough to make a living with all the expenses.

so, to answer your question, i didnt get the work i expected and im not taking on any more help without smart growth meaning where the guys are guaranteed to make me more money. i dont want to manage guys simply to give them a check, and not make any more while taking on much more responsibility.

trucks
mowers
stuff

Sig Sauer Sercurity