Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Man you guys have me wanting to do this so bad but I am nervous Ill screw it up. Anyone from central Indiana that has done this. Also do I have to take the carb off or is that why Cliff thanks he messed up. Also all I need is carb shaft, oil cooler correct. Kind of confused if you ended up grinding something off or not.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icobob View Post
Man you guys have me wanting to do this so bad but I am nervous Ill screw it up. Anyone from central Indiana that has done this. Also do I have to take the carb off or is that why Cliff thanks he messed up. Also all I need is carb shaft, oil cooler correct. Kind of confused if you ended up grinding something off or not.
Take it from me, take the carb off all the way, you can't see what you are doing otherwise. My mower is now at the shop so they can adjust the governor. This should have been a quick and easy swap, I screwed mine up by not putting the butterfly valves back in correct, and then started messing with the governor.... I'd say swap the parts, and if you did stuff correct, you should not have to mess with anything else, like underpsi did.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

picrtures:

All the parts I installed, except the plastic valve assembly, I returned that part today.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Member

more pictures:

before and after installing the oil cooler. This was very simple to do, even for ME!!!! And pictured last is both throttle shafts side by side to show how much more throttle you have going from 19 to 25hp.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2010, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

icobob this is a very easy job.remove the clips that hold the linkages in place and slide off linkage. PULL the carb off be careful with the gasket while removing carb .take it to a clean workbench and remove 4 screws attaching butterflies .make note of how the butterflies came off you could make small reference marks with a marker.once the butterflies are removed the shaft will slide right out the side of carb.if you had a dremel tool you could actually grind the ear on the stop down without even removing butterflies .only remove a little at a time until the butterflies are able to open flat all the way as the previous pics showed .make sure everything is clean and metal shavings free and reinstall carb and connect linkages .pretty easy you shouldn't have to make any linkage adjustments at all.but always check idle and wot engine speeds and adjust as needed just for good measure.also pick up the oil cooler and extension joint
Old 06-07-2010, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

So I am confused. Do I need to grind even if I buy the throttle shaft and if so what am I grinding off.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey underpsi when your motors running at full throttle under no load are your throttle blades all the way open or partially closed.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you buy a shaft no grinding needed just install shaft but i'm cheap so i opted to shave the stop down ( shave the stop piece thats attached to the butterfly shaft)not the carb housing itself.it dosen't take much grinding to get the blades to open fully.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

do u have a pic of yours. do i just grind a little at a time till butterflies are open all the way or do i need to try and match the shape of cliffs pic up above
Old 06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just grind a little at a time if you use a dremel its really easy nothing has to be reassembled to chec kif the butterflies are fully opened .once the carb is off it should make sense what you need to trim just remember grind a little at a time .sorry i didn't take pics of mine and the rear metal guard on my gravely 152z is in the way to get a good pic now .you coud still just buy the shaft if your not comfortable grinding