Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gross! yeah, I can't make it to work today, I have a neck infection.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

can't talk on the phone with a neck infection??
Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Part of me wants to follow this through a bit and trail to nail this person but I have better things to do...a monster privet hedge awaits my shears, lol.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Part of me wants to follow this through a bit and trail to nail this person but I have better things to do...a monster privet hedge awaits my shears, lol.
A few years ago, when I used to have free time and was bored, I would "interact" with these guys. It's called scambaiting, scamming the scammers. There are groups on the internet that have played with these guys for a long time. The purpose is to waste their time and hopefully keep them from ever completing their scam on innocent victims. We would constantly flag their ads and put their email address on a list. Would give them fake money-gram or W/U confirmation numbers. When the scammers would finally catch on to what was happening, they would stop answering our emails. Then we would just switch to a different email account and start all over. We would also pass their email address on to others in the group and keep them real busy. It was somewhat entertaining, but I wouldn't recommend it to the inexperienced. It requires significant setup to cover your tracks. There have been a couple of cases where it got ugly.

Dan
Old 06-09-2010, 03:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrewKut View Post
A few years ago, when I used to have free time and was bored, I would "interact" with these guys. It's called scambaiting, scamming the scammers. There are groups on the internet that have played with these guys for a long time. The purpose is to waste their time and hopefully keep them from ever completing their scam on innocent victims. We would constantly flag their ads and put their email address on a list. Would give them fake money-gram or W/U confirmation numbers. When the scammers would finally catch on to what was happening, they would stop answering our emails. Then we would just switch to a different email account and start all over. We would also pass their email address on to others in the group and keep them real busy. It was somewhat entertaining, but I wouldn't recommend it to the inexperienced. It requires significant setup to cover your tracks. There have been a couple of cases where it got ugly.

Dan
I do a similar thing to those who want to scam on the other side of the transaction. I list things that I don't need anymore on CL and always state, no checks, pick up only. I always get some yahoo from a non-english speaking country (their emails are horrible) that wants my address to send a check. I give them a PO Box and when the check for $5000 comes in on the $50 pair of speakers I listed, then I call the bank it is drawn on and once I determine it is a fake, I send it to the police. The local PD says that fake cashiers checks are on the same level as counterfeit money and are turned over to the secret service. One guy actually sent 3 checks cause I kept telling him that I didn't have his check and I haven't cashed it. After the 3rd one, he threatened me with the FBI (which I said I would be glad to speak with since I didn't have his check) and then quit emailing. At least if I got the fake check, then I know someone's 75 y.o. grandma didn't get it and get ripped off.