Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2000, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am a fabricating junkie,I love to build things with my welder and a pile of angle iron.I think an arc welder is still the best for lawn mowers,its cheap,can weld even thin steel with thin rod and no mig can penetrate the thicker steel like it.I love to MIG weld to,but I use mig when welding exhaust systems and other thin things only.The welder Geo is talking about is not necessary,but it does help.its a 3way welder,and it has the normal AC current,+it has DC+ and DC reverse for welding in cetain applications(overhead etc).I welded a lot for 3 years at College and It is an art that takes time and patience to get right,the biggest mistakes I see are improper preperation and not enough penetration.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
Old 08-02-2000, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I knew i jumped in on this discussion way too early to be able to add anything to it. give me credit...I acknowleged I didn't know jack.... sorry, I couldn't resist responding!<p>but the way you guys are talkikng, I gotta get a welder! HOT DANG! I love gettin' lathered up over a new toy!<p>GEO
Old 08-05-2000, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call me a fabricatin' fool
With my background in tool & Die, it transfers over perfectly into this trade for MODIFYING anything & everything (Tim Taylor-ruh ruh roo!)
Sears has the welder I've been saving up to buy. It can weld up to 1/4" in single pass-if you need more, make a 2nd pass.
It has a 20% duty cycle, & best of all it's PORTABLE!!!!!!!!
Meaning if something breaks you don't have to load it up & drive all the way back home, you can fix it in the field. The unit is like a battery jump start pack in that it's rechargeable, & you can do alot with 1 charge. I think it sells for almost $400. Check out the Sears tool catalogs.

[Edited by yardsmith on 08-08-2000 at 03:41 AM]
Old 08-06-2000, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one of those baby mig welders a few years ago. Looking at all the equipment, vehicles... that I have, I thought that I could justify one. IT is one of those items that you don't use all that often, but when you use it, you really use it.

Not that I was spending a lot of money getting things repaired, it was the inconvience of the down time, coupled with the aggrivation of tearing it apart, taking it to the shop, going back to get it, getting back road ready...

I practiced on some scrap metal I had laying around, and woth some practice, I am able to put down a deacent bead. It is not as pretty as someone who welds all day, but it will stay together.

I would say get one of you can. It will come in handy.
Old 08-06-2000, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

John, Your comment "the biggest mistakes I see are improper preperation and not enough penetration." sounds like words to live by. ;-) seriously, I have a small Miller gas, wire feed welder. I wouldn't be with out it. Like someone said, it isn't the cost as much as the ability to be back in service quickly. I once fixed a snow plow bracket that broke while plowing out my own driveway. That would have been hard to fix any other way. The tractor was stuck in the driveway until it was fixed.

Frank
Old 08-07-2000, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Forgot to add to my post, with the mig welder it is a very easy learning curve compared to an arc welder. I learned with an arc welder a long time ago and hadn't welded for years before i got the mig welder. Just pratice on some scraps, as long as you have a good ground and you keep the tip clean it's no problem at all.
Old 08-08-2000, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the great info, support and encouragement on my welding post question. I have bought a Hobart Handler 135 wire feed welder with set-up for using gas if I want. I've got a box full of old blades and broken metal parts to practice on. Now I just need some time!

Old 08-09-2000, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For those of you who are considering purchasing a welder, are new to it, or just want to enhance your knowledge and ability, I would suggest looking into your local community education programs through your local school districts. Many classes and programs are offered that you can learn a SIGNIFICANT amount in just a short time. I took welding in highschool and have been welding for quite sometime now. But it is GREAT to know the right temperature settings, amperage, and what rod to use for different types of steel and applications. This is also something that can be done during the slow season. Just a thought!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.