Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2010, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I have no clue!!

My wife and I do not have green thumbs and kill almost everything we plant. I'm looking to "fix up" our entry into our house. Attached is an outline of what we have. The area in front of the house is mulched and has one little fountain in the middle. We are more into the clean looking low profile plant look. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 06-13-2010, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The diagram is nice, but pictures would be much better, as well as more information.

Do you have an irrigation system? Did you water properly? What killed you previous attempts? Did you mulch and fertilize? Do you have animals that ate your previous plants? Do you know what is in your soil (clay, sand, ph levels)? Shady area, hot and sunny?

You might also want to get a liscenced landscaper involved also. This might be a small job, but it sounds like you have already spent a lot of money and time killing previous plants.

Mick
Old 06-13-2010, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Pictures

Not so much killing the plants. Its just that our 3 holly bushes look only slightly larger than when we bought them 3 years ago. Our rose of sharon is 3 years old and stand a whopping 11 inches off the ground. (we relocated it also) Our rhodedandon is about 12 inches also going on the third year. I know my dog hasnt been helping. I recently put a wire fence around all of the bushes hoping it would keep him off. The only thing we have that has done well is our lilac and our lillies. I have put all new soil in this location and built up the planting beds in case the soil was the problem. I just used some screened loam for that area. the house faces to the east. The area with the most sun is just to the left of the porch. (We have put a snowball bush here, its the most sunny area) the area to the right of the porch is next to a garage and gets the least amount of sun. I can put in a watering system pretty easily. I will just get a soaking hose and a couple small sprinklers on a timer throughout. Here are some pictures. of course the slide and the little firepit will go.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2010, 05:31 AM
LawnSite Member

What are some foundation shrubs? How far apart should we plant them?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Foundation plant material

Over my nearly 25 yrs. as a professional landscaper, and now Certified Arborist's Assistant, I have seen some shrubs that seem to fare better than others, generally speaking. Alpine Spirea, which blooms season long. Potentilla fruticosa, white or yellow/gold, are pretty bulletproof. Viburnum trilobum compactum as well. Taxus yews, while some say are overused, are a good standard evergreen, but deer will browse. I don't like junipers, except maybe the spreading Blue Rug, as foundation plants. Also not big on Arbor Vitae, as deer browse them,too. Also, if you don't keep height in check, they will revert to tree-form, and be up to roofline in no time. Variegated Dogwood and Persian lilacs seem to thrive with few pests affecting them. I'd avoid roses and rhododendrons, as they are fussy. For sure, without an in-person evaluation, I can only throw ideas. You need to get soil tested for Ph and nutrients. Also match material with the amount of sun that the area receives. Use a composted bark mulch, not fresh wood chips. Don't bury the plants in it; 2-3 inches is fine. Keep the plants 28-36 inches from foundation, and 36-48 inches from each other(read tags). Hope this was helpful. Good luck! BM
Old 07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

What type of shrubs are these?

Still looking for shrubs
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2010, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats a burning bush and are no longer available for sale
Old 09-10-2010, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhillslandscaping View Post
thats a burning bush and are no longer available for sale
Why are they no longer for sale
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

they are an invasive species
Old 10-17-2010, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Invasive species?

That's a new one on me, and I follow most of the trade publications. Do you have a source of credible information to cite, or is this hearsay? I can name several other plants that may be considered 'invasives'. Burning Bushes, or "Wing-tipped Euonymous" are hardy, tolerant shrubs that thrive under varying light and soil conditions. They are quite popular, and beautiful this time of year. Seriously, if this is accurate, please post source. BM