Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2000, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I am wondering which one to go with is toro better than exmark or is it the other way? I am cutting Kentukey Bluegrass. Thanks for all yoru help<br>toddman35
Old 08-03-2000, 12:26 AM

there both almost the same exept that the Exmark deck is 10 times better
Old 08-03-2000, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Rules!!! I started with a new 36&quot; Belt drive with a 12hp Kawasaki. It was a Beast!!! I could bush hog with it and it would take anything down. I then went to a used 48&quot; belt with a 14 Kaw Still excelent but not as much power to size ratio. I then bought what I thought was my dream machine... a 48&quot; hydor Snapper with 2x Velki adn 17 HP waw V twin. MAJOR frustration and disapointment!!! I wish I had bought the same setup in the Exmark Hydro!!! The only problem I saw with it was that I am 6' tall and it was a tad short with a velki. This can be resolved with a Proslide which has NO wheels and glides on a GRASS not concrete surface.
Old 08-07-2000, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Todd, have you checked out a Walker mower? I was going to get an Exmark until I tested out a Walker. With the deck out in front you only have to use the string trimmer. I bought one two weeks ago and have not had to get the 21" off the trailer. With the Exmark Mid-Mount design you can not get as close to things to get away from the 21" to finish up. But the Exmark is a good choice.
Mowman Happy Walker Owner
Old 08-07-2000, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I own a toro z master. I have used a exmark and all though they cut really nice.... they dont cut as nice as a toro. In wet conditions no brand beats a toro, Cuts as if the grass were dry with no clumps. As everyone knows the lazer is a well built machine, that well built machine is also made by toro (z master) but with some extra benefits. NOt only have do i prefer the toro over the exmark but several lazer owners i no i have let use my z master and assured me there next ztr would be a z master.
Old 08-07-2000, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a toro-z-master, and it cuts really nice as for as the deck i don't do any bush-hogin so the super flow system with gator blades is super nice, I noticed someone was not pleased with there snapper hydro, Ive had one 52/16hp for 5yrs now i like it so much better than my scag the loop tracking is so nice on your hands and you can get real close to the sticker bushes with it. Also have had no trouble with it, TIS number one on my list.
Old 08-08-2000, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I've got two Z-masters, a compact 20hp with a 52" sfs deck and a 25hp with a 72" sfs deck.
From what i've seen the deck on the ex-mark is built a heck of a lot stronger,it's all welded & not stamped like on some of the toro's.
Other then that the machines are basically the same.
I've got to agree that the Toro's will cut a ton of grass thou and they will send the discharge out a mile it seems.....LOL just don't hit anything with the decks or they'll fold right up( I've got the repair bills to prove it)
Old 08-08-2000, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dan, i definitly agree with you. The exmark decks are alot more heavy duty but dont cut as nice. I dont undertstand why toro makes such a thin deck... on the other hand i rarly hit things but occationaly when i have theres has been no damage... there reinforces pretty thick around the areas prone to damamge.
Old 08-09-2000, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They're not as thick because they're stamped and you need thin steel for that.

They need to be stamped in order to use their low-profile spindles.

The low profile spindles (which are much stronger) need to be mounted where the deck is shallow and the grass clippings are cut/blown where the deck is deep.

You couldn't have a SFS system with a welded deck without adding substantial weight.
Old 08-09-2000, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro or Exmark.....I Just bought a 26HP Toro ZMaster with a 72 in deck, and I own two Exmark's 25hp with 72 in decks. As to which is better??...Both mowers are almost identical. I find the Toro 26P much more powerful for what I am cutting...However, as far as the decks are concerned, I have managed to blow some holes in both my Exmark decks, and find that I have sandblasted right through them in 875 hours, (about 1 1/2 years mowing) The real difference lies in the decks..The exmark deck has high lift blades and will throw grass a country mile..it gets it out of the way especially in thick grass...The toro deck is only 1 day old, so I cannot predict what it will look like in a year..The only reason I bought a Toro was that I needed more speed and power...It takes more than 25 HP to push a 72 in deck through thick bahia grass....The toro deck does not have a high lift blade, and discharges the grass feebly...which is all right when you are mowing next to buildings...but in thick grass, it tends to form clumps around the center of each blade, andf leaves an ugly stripe....Overall, Toro owns Exmark, and Exmark makes the mower for Toro.....The only difference is in the deck, and some minor cosmetic features...In either case, both are great mowers..I do prefer a Walker Mower 26HP GHS 48 in deck for appearances...Will let you know how the Toro Deck holds out...