Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2000, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a link to a program which discusses a compromise with homeowners and landscapers regarding the use of blowers. This is the first I had heard of it in our area, but I'm sure others will be feeling it soon if you haven't already. Usually the people bitc_ing are the ones who mow their own lawns. I don't know about the quote from tha landscaper who says running at half throttle reduces wear on equipment though.

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/deput...e/air/LINK.htm

Old 08-08-2000, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Badlands is definitely a place to stay out of! Been there...seen it! Got lost when I first moved here! Couldn't get out of there fast enough!
Old 08-09-2000, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It'll not last long. I wish cities like this one that have blower bans would try this route first. I do find it Ironic that this article chose Echo for a statement. As far as I know, in my area, they make the highest noise decibels of any blower used by commercial services.
John
Old 08-09-2000, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yippee, we get a freakin copy of the leaf collection schedule and a bumper sticker!!! Let me go ahead and tell you what a compromise means. Compromise equals someone is getting screwed. In this case its the worker (you). We (the allied forces) compromised with Hitler, it was actually called appeasement, and see what happened. Give someone an inch and they'll take a mile. Now to combat several of the points in this article,

"The program was prompted by several township residents concerned with the use of blowers and their associated noise, dust and odors who approached local landscapers to try to reach a mutually-acceptable solution."
Several means a couple of stay at home moms with nothing better to do. Noise-why aren't they concerned with trimmers? Trimmers are 90% as loud. Dust-Only if you are around the person using the blower is there any affect with dust-Solution stay inside, I don't want to talk to you anyways. Odors-no clue what they are referring to here, maybe they will ban refuse collection trucks soon because I know they have an odor.

"Everyone knows the landscapers have a job to do and the challenge was trying to find some answer for this one piece of equipment that would allow them to continue to be cost-effective by not charging any more to customers while, at the same time, providing some relief in residential areas to those who are suffering."
Cost effective?- Half throttle means I am not utilizing my equipment to its full capacity and I WILL charge the customer more.
Relief to those who are suffering? - I guess these folks have never had cancer or any real problems in their family life. If your definition of suffering is the lawn guy blowing off the leaves every Thursday then you need to get a job so that when he comes by you won't be home.

Maybe we need to start a coalition that discourages 1) garbage trucks- they are loud and smelly 2) road construction- these guys are mean looking and the tools they use are really loud. 3) Doctors- they give you shots that really hurt 4) Telemarketers- they call you and want you to buy something and they have an uncanny ability to time exactly when you will be eating dinner.

If you have any suggestions I would be open to them, but most of my customers appreciate the service I provide. I have never had a complaint from a customers neighbor. And if I did I would disregard it since they don't pay the bills. Have a nice day I am now officially off of my soapbox.