Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda GXV620 20 hp

I don't suppose anyone is familiar with the Honda 20hp GXV620 engine? My father in law has this on his Hustler fastrak 52" and would like to be able to do the same upgrade as we did on the Kawasakis....

I had no time to dig deep into this, but at first glance looking at the owners manual, it may be similar to the GXV670 24hp model... both are 614cc. Maybe I need to start this in a new thread. Chime in anyone with any info.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I say give it a shot. Buddy of mine works at Dixie Chopper and when I was looking at getting a dixie ( cant remember now the 2 hp's ) but he said to get the smaller one because they were both the same. They just slapped the different stickers on them. So long story short I think in some way all the motors are like the Kaw's we have.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Ordered my parts from Mowpart.com yesterday. Still unsure on wether I should wait till the engine warranty expires or not to do the install. I know I'll go ahead and install the oil cooler.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I got my parts ordered also including a new 25 hp sticker Actually took a dremel last night to my stock throttle and just trimmed the tip off it so that will open a little more it seemed to help a lot just doing that. I am gonna pull my carb off over the weekend and trim my throttle assembly down until my butterflies open up all the way and install my oil cooler and all. Thanks for all the great info guys.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I was actually able to dremel it with the carb still on. Just took my time. Didnt know I could order the sticker
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah my carb was still on but I can't see the butterflies, that is the only reason I am pulling them off. Yep, you can get a sticker also
Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Just pull the air chamber off and you can see them. But of course I guess the are different mowers so maybe you cant. I have a Hustler Mini Z. Do you remember the part # for the sticker?
Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, I will try that and see, I have to remove quite a bit on my scag to do so.

Anyway part number for the sticker was #56080-7047
Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridermowing View Post
OK, I will try that and see, I have to remove quite a bit on my scag to do so.

Anyway part number for the sticker was #56080-7047
Who has a cheap shipping price for the sticker, the sites I looked at wanted about $10 for shipping and about $5 for the sticker. $10 is crazy for something that weighs almost nothing and can fit inside an envelope!!!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Finally got my mower back from the shop, the adjusted the governor. Used to cut two overgrown lots, man that thing is a beast now!!!!! I can ride a wheelie on it, and I think they have the rpms up a little, cause on gps I clocked it at 10mph! (was 9mph stock) They had to replace my carb choke shaft (i broke it) and my control panel, (i broke that too I guess when I bent the rpm stop to boost rpms, choke lever was binding up)

Lesson learned:

Check your butterfly valve seating before touching anything with the governor. It will save you hours of headache and money if you have to bring it in to get your rpms adjusted right. Even with all that, the upgrade was well worth it, I would have never been able to cut those lots as fast as I did with the 19hp version, bog down central!