Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-16-2010, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ATV Sprayers: Need some info

Hey, gang. I am in the market to upgrade from my 4-gal. backpack sprayer to a larger outfit. I have narrowed it down to either a 50-gal. skid sprayer setup or a ride on unit. Most of the ride-on units are twice the cost (or more) of a skid sprayer. I really like the idea of a ride on.
Well, the other day I come across these ATV sprayers (26-gal.) at Northern Tool & Equipment, and I'm like, "Gee, I could purchase one of these and an ATV for about $1500-$2000."
So......have any of you used them? Do you like using them?

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I used one it only cost about 400. add no drip nozzles! worked good in open places.The boom is a pain

Than i mounted it on the back of the tractor in my picture above. click on my name there are more pictures.

Moved the intake to the bottom of the tank works better than a hose hanging from the top of the tank.

One you get down to 5 gals you lose suction from water splashing around.

Bought a T3000 100% better for doing lawns.

Good luck Charles Cue
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks, Charles. Any others?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I built my own with by-pass agitation with a 15 gallon tank, boom with diaphragm nozzles and 30' of hose/hand gun for about $300.00 total.
I had the ATV already.
Works well, holds hillsides very well and the tank does not exceed the carrying capacity of the ATV. I was going to go to a 25 gallon tank but maneuverability would be problematic - too much weight over the rear wheels causes steering to be a pain.
I plumbed the electric pump with an out door rated chord so all I have to do is set the tank, the boom and handgun assembly has it's own mount with two bolts, ratchet strap the tank in place and go. Assembly time maybe three minutes.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Member

spraying urea or just post emergent?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you are spraying soluble urea or just broadleaf killer with these smaller tanks. I've got a 25 gallon tank and my dealer says it would be ok to spray the urea mixed with hydrexx and a 3 way. Since I'm new to spraying (and licensed) I'm somewhat concerned about burning up my yard. My sprayer is calibrated at .67 gallons per 1000. What do you think? The sprayer works great for 3 way but I'm just wondering about the urea.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I first started to think about getting licensed and doing apps I considered going this route but realized this was not the way to go. Accuracy was something that worried me. I finally realized I needed to go all out or not mess with spraying on a large scale at all. I purchased a Z-Spray Max and have not regretted it.

Everyone's situation is different. The ATV thing wouldnt work for me but if it does for someone else, great. Other things to consider with the ATV are tearing turf and how professional does this rig/setup appear?
Old 06-18-2010, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Applying urea as a solution liquid, would not be advisable. The high concentration of urea in the solution would burn the grass within minutes. You need about 3 gallons of water per thousand sqft to carry your urea fertilizer. However--you could get an electric spreader and mount it on the back (or front). If you are really cheap you can get a tow-behind K-mart style spreader. If you don't mid some old farmer baling wire work, you can improvise a hitch and tow your hand spreader behind your ATV. Bear in mind you may have to reverse the axle so the impeller spins in the opposite direction.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Everyone's situation is different. The ATV thing wouldnt work for me but if it does for someone else, great. Other things to consider with the ATV are tearing turf and how professional does this rig/setup appear?
I had thought about this and concluded that if I get an ATV, I'll be sure to get some turf-friendly tires for it. As far as the noise goes, there are plenty of ATVs that are quieter than my walk-behind.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --Leonardo da Vinci

http://integritylawnpro.com