Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Just wanted to say that i am 16 and started this year and have picked up at least 15 yards in the last 2 weeks so if i can do it you should be able to
Stihl FC95
Stihl FS110R FS90R
RedMax 8050
Husqvarna Saw

www.PremierTurfManagement.com
Old 06-25-2010, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh boy, another one. Here we go.

Do you think starting a landscaping business given today's economy is a good idea.

If you like to mow for $30.00 an acre
The good majority of you are already established. If you had to start over today, would you?
I would have prior to the crash of 08. Not now.

Earning potential.....year 1...2...3 I am looking to clear 40K the first year.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE(not including snow) Is this a high expectation, It's a bit of a stretch for a guy who as you said is overweight and has physical issues because you have to bust your ass when you start out to make a name. It's not going to be easy. It's not impossible, just not
plausible.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
Oh boy, another one. Here we go.

Do you think starting a landscaping business given today's economy is a good idea.

If you like to mow for $30.00 an acre
The good majority of you are already established. If you had to start over today, would you?
I would have prior to the crash of 08. Not now.

Earning potential.....year 1...2...3 I am looking to clear 40K the first year.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE(not including snow) Is this a high expectation, It's a bit of a stretch for a guy who as you said is overweight and has physical issues because you have to bust your ass when you start out to make a name. It's not going to be easy. It's not impossible, just not
plausible.
Starting a landscape business is old hat to me. I know the drill, but also know that things have changed. The economy, fly by night station wagon rebels, low ballers, and so on were and always will be an obstacle for one whom does not have an established business. Even then, some guys are getting dropped due to $$ as many folks are cutting back. Well, the tides have shifted over the last 6-months. People are not moving, new construction has been back burnered or stopped in some cases, and many folks are forced to have a dual income. With this being said, the family time is limited, and for some the last thing they want to do is ride a 36" Toro across a two acre lawn for 2.5hrs or better. They hire a LCO and gain back that 2.5 hrs. Some people chose to put their house on the market but were told they will take a 50K+ hit less than what they paid for the house. This made the homeowner rethink and lean toward reinvesting in the home they own vs. selling. Outside entertaining areas are big here in NJ. paverers...slate....ponds....new landscape design just to mention a few are in demand as a result of people staying put. The way I look at it is if your a people person, know what you are selling, and your work speaks for itself, you will do just fine. Mowing is just a foot in the door for hard scape. I have the ability to execute large jobs, but want to ease into the business and enjoy myself. With only a 8-10k investment, the profit margin is much higher than the person whom financed the whole S&K (30K or more) resulting in a $600 a month payment on equipment only. Within the first year the 8-10K will be paid off.

As for my health...well I just was thinking out loud. If I want it that bad, dropping 40-50 lbs is not a big deal. I laid two pallets of blue stone, spread 5 yards of QP, and buttoned up the job in two days last week by myself. It felt good and I was surprised that I DID NOT have any back issues or pain the next morning. Honestly I am not a big bucket of sheot, but just a big dude. Chasing a walk behind around will strip the weight off in no time. Hey I already lost 20 lbs. just being active during the day and not sitting behind a desk.

I feel that if there was a time to open a business it would be now. The economy is no longer flat lined and is on a slow climb. If you were starting out say in 06-07 you would have extended yourself and outlaid cash to keep up with the business. Some saved money while others spent it. Others are folding and paving way for new folks like myself. The glass is half full or half empty...all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike821 View Post
Starting a landscape business is old hat to me. I know the drill, but also know that things have changed. The economy, fly by night station wagon rebels, low ballers, and so on were and always will be an obstacle for one whom does not have an established business. Even then, some guys are getting dropped due to $$ as many folks are cutting back. Well, the tides have shifted over the last 6-months. People are not moving, new construction has been back burnered or stopped in some cases, and many folks are forced to have a dual income. With this being said, the family time is limited, and for some the last thing they want to do is ride a 36" Toro across a two acre lawn for 2.5hrs or better. They hire a LCO and gain back that 2.5 hrs. Some people chose to put their house on the market but were told they will take a 50K+ hit less than what they paid for the house. This made the homeowner rethink and lean toward reinvesting in the home they own vs. selling. Outside entertaining areas are big here in NJ. paverers...slate....ponds....new landscape design just to mention a few are in demand as a result of people staying put. The way I look at it is if your a people person, know what you are selling, and your work speaks for itself, you will do just fine. Mowing is just a foot in the door for hard scape. I have the ability to execute large jobs, but want to ease into the business and enjoy myself. With only a 8-10k investment, the profit margin is much higher than the person whom financed the whole S&K (30K or more) resulting in a $600 a month payment on equipment only. Within the first year the 8-10K will be paid off.

As for my health...well I just was thinking out loud. If I want it that bad, dropping 40-50 lbs is not a big deal. I laid two pallets of blue stone, spread 5 yards of QP, and buttoned up the job in two days last week by myself. It felt good and I was surprised that I DID NOT have any back issues or pain the next morning. Honestly I am not a big bucket of sheot, but just a big dude. Chasing a walk behind around will strip the weight off in no time. Hey I already lost 20 lbs. just being active during the day and not sitting behind a desk.

I feel that if there was a time to open a business it would be now. The economy is no longer flat lined and is on a slow climb. If you were starting out say in 06-07 you would have extended yourself and outlaid cash to keep up with the business. Some saved money while others spent it. Others are folding and paving way for new folks like myself. The glass is half full or half empty...all in the eye of the beholder.
Hey, you've made up your mind already, why are you still here posting...

Good luck, you don't need validation or our okeedokee, just do it already...

Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM
LawnSite Member

If I were still rideing an office chair I'd be dead, get your ass moving, best thing for the back is moving...get an inversion table and hang like a bat like the rest of the old dudes... Make sure the seat of your rider has major lumbar support...test drive a stander...there lighter on the turf and IMO way better on the back... In 2 years when your driving the truck and weedwacking...and your 2 guys are running those standers... And you dropped weight got tan and got paid...smile bra....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBlue32 View Post
If I were still rideing an office chair I'd be dead, get your ass moving, best thing for the back is moving...get an inversion table and hang like a bat like the rest of the old dudes... Make sure the seat of your rider has major lumbar support...test drive a stander...there lighter on the turf and IMO way better on the back... In 2 years when your driving the truck and weedwacking...and your 2 guys are running those standers... And you dropped weight got tan and got paid...smile bra....
Posted via Mobile Device
Digging up a two and a half, possibly a five year old thread? You usually just have to look at the first couple threads in the starter section. Question gets asked by a dozen newbies every week lloking for support, validation or kick in the butt. Most probably never make it past their post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Digging up a two and a half, possibly a five year old thread? You usually just have to look at the first couple threads in the starter section. Question gets asked by a dozen newbies every week lloking for support, validation or kick in the butt. Most probably never make it past their post.
Posted via Mobile Device
So I wonder how it he has done, I am looking to start this year... Roll out Mar.1 treating and mowing, but starting out with very basic equipment 21" Honda, basic trimmer, edger and blower. No clients and building from there. All my other situation (no body issues) is like this guys and with our economy as it is now what would most of you say and how things are different if at all. I live in Oklahoma what does the market look like here. Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm doing much of the same as the OP, i know this is an old thread. i'm not in nearly as bad shape.. but i'm getting up there in age (37) lol. i have very few clients, and my expectations on what to make this first full year are not to high giving the hard economic times, but its what i like to do.. i'm starting with my truck and equipment paid for, a good bit put away in savings and a wife that works hard,.. all this is gonna help but i expect a rough 2 - 3 years getting it going right. i got a head start by getting out there towards the end of july last year.. so have a few clients and the name is out there.

i don't think i'd get out of IT or a gravy office job to do this. but manual labor is all i really do and mowing and spraying lawns beats the hell out of the job i just left slinging 60+ lb boxes for 12 hour shifts on night shift.. i've went all in for this year with my business.. gonna make it work or bust.. then just move to something else. not easy work, but i like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikosiko View Post
So I wonder how it he has done, I am looking to start this year... Roll out Mar.1 treating and mowing, but starting out with very basic equipment 21" Honda, basic trimmer, edger and blower. No clients and building from there. All my other situation (no body issues) is like this guys and with our economy as it is now what would most of you say and how things are different if at all. I live in Oklahoma what does the market look like here. Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I too wonder if he made it? And if so what would he say to the person asking this question. hahahaha
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

With your back issues, I would look for something else. If your determined, I would work with someone else for a season to see if your back can handle it. Making the investment and finding out quickly you wish you hadn't can be avoided this way.