Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Will Any Chop Saw Do?

Hey folks,

I currently have the Hitach C10FCH 10" Chop Saw (you can see it here: http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-C10FCH...6780514&sr=1-2 ).

I know long term I probably want something more portable, arguably quicker, and that can handle curves better...but for now, do you think if I picked up a diamond blade and threw it on here, that it'll do fine cuting pavers?

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

It may be capable of cutting pavers, however it probably wouldn't take too long before the dust burns up the motor. Hitachi makes great saws, they came out w/ the first slide arm compound miterbox saw. I bought one back around 92 when the price was about$750, I've put a lot of miles on it and still use it today. Your best bet is to rent a wet saw if your not able to buy one. You could buy the blade and just rent the saw...rentals can sometimes get a premium for blade usage & they are much less expensive to buy now than they were years ago...like most things made in china. I just bought a 14" diamond blade for $65, and the life isn't all that bad either.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool! Thanks! I would have been bummed if it killed the saw. I'll look into rentals for the time being.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wood saws will handle ctting concrete products bt only for a few months. We use skillsaws all the time with 7" blades for cutting block/brick etc. It works bt the bearings go very quickly.
Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2low4NH View Post
wood saws will handle ctting concrete products bt only for a few months. We use skillsaws all the time with 7" blades for cutting block/brick etc. It works bt the bearings go very quickly.
Is it more economical to burn through a cheap saw every few months?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for us yes. we burn up alot of saws mstly because we cant do wet saws from lack of running water. we are on a job now where we are ctting 6" slabs of granite with our big cut off saw that runs a 14" blade we are killing a blade a week at $120 a blade. I have found that makita holds up the best and they are cheap. best bet is get a small wet saw. dry cutting kills your lungs anyway
Old 06-25-2010, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i scribe the stuff then do a small cut then have someone spray it down with the house