Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2010, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Snapper has two different commercial deck designs. One is primarily for mulching but also bags, and you can guess what the High Vac Bagger is intended for.

My Snapper is a High Vac model. I have a mulch kit for it, and will be spending more time with it and the Honda HRC push over the next few weeks. I'll post my opinions afterward.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Been happy with my Ariens Pro21
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ighlight=pro21
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 06-26-2010, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm going to go demo an Ariens/Gravely Pro 21" and a Snapper Hi-Vac Commercial. We'll see which one bags the best. Although I hafta admit I really like the bag design on the snappers.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

the only other thing i would suggest is that if u are going to primarily run the mower for mulching, no matter what make you get, i cannot say enough for the "ninja blade" snapper has out. It's kind of weird design but it does a really good job of shredding the clippings into nothing. Not to expensive either for them. I think the dealer here sells them for about $30-35. awesome blade for mulching, but not so good if your bagging because of the way its designed to throw the clippings around under the deck. hope whatever you get works for you. good luck.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

My Snapper 21" Push SUCKS!!!

Most everybody has had the exact opposite experience with snapper commercial mowers I have had this year. The reason I went with Snapper was because it was hard to find many really negative experiences. That fact and the price of the Snappers compared to other competitor models was too much for me not go with the snapper commercial push and s50x ZTR.

On the snapper 21" push w/6.0 kawasaki, which has seen very little use since purchased in may has several annoying features in my limited use. Finally, last night the damn drive engage lever that sticks straight up in the air and has been a real pain to operate or when sitting on the trailer being a snag magnet broke. It has always been great cutting and bags full wet or dry but i didn't like some design stuff after getting a few hours usage with it. Its got some really rickety crap little design things i felt would go from annoying to frustrating, especially considering this is commercial line equipment. Along with the drive lever snapping off while mowing late yesterday it was also hard as hell to start yesterday for the first time. It has always started on the first pull until yesterday...go figure?? The routing of the pull start around the bagger is crap in my opinion and problems waiting to happen and i was right. For whatever reason, the recoil tension had noticeably dropped and since it didnt want to start after pulling several times the rope lacked sufficient tension to stay around a little pulley that routes it around the bagger...sorry, i like straight lines with stuff like that.

Anyway, i have had nothing but trouble with of my snapper pro mowers. I'm cutting this rant off and not getting specific with the ztr issues but suffice it to say i really wish i would have purchased another brand. If I had a crew trying to use this crap I can't imagine how much worse it would be...it's just me and a helper and i'm in equipment issue hell since day one. To compound the poor decision i made, my dealer sucks at doing anything more than taking money. Oh well, live and learn...i'm gonna be one smart dude come the day i die!!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albhb3 View Post
stay away from the heavy toro at least the one we have is the 124lbs it becomes a workout by the end of the day
Actually the Toro "Commercial 21" is the lightest commercial mower I have seen. It is only 90lbs. It only has the Honda GSV190 engine.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

took a look at the snapper hi vac commercial, the honda hrc and an ariens/gravely pro 21. honda was best mulcher, and bagged well, very disapointed w/ the snapper. Bagging was not as good as the ariens/gravely. Thinking of going with the Ariens/Gravely

'02 Dakota SXT V6
'96 F-150 V8 4x4
'10 6x12 CarryOn Utility Trailer
'05 John Deere L118
'10 6HP Ariens LM21
'06 6.5HP Toro Super Recycler 22's
Husqvarna 25R Trimmer
Ryobi S430 4-Cycle Trimmer w/ attachments
Stihl Backpack
Stihl Saws
Poulan Pro Sprayer
WB or ZTR coming soon (recommend something if you like)
Old 06-27-2010, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenShoesLC View Post
took a look at the snapper hi vac commercial, the honda hrc and an ariens/gravely pro 21. honda was best mulcher, and bagged well, very disapointed w/ the snapper. Bagging was not as good as the ariens/gravely. Thinking of going with the Ariens/Gravely
Hello Neighbour GreenShoes:
I know what you mean when you refer to spring growth, and I also bag everything I cut.
I have also used the Snapper Hi-Vac and after 3 days of fighting with that stupid bag design, drive engage lever, and recoil rope routing. I took the mower and dropped it off in my Snapper territory Reps yard and told him is was a poor excuse for a commercial mower, although I did like the preformance of the Kawi FJ180 motor. The price was 1/2 of MSRP and I still walked away!

I bought an Ariens Pro-21 with the same Kawi FJ180 on it. That mower will do anything I ask of it and the design is very easy to use. I can empty the bag on the PRO-21 in less time than I could remove the bag on the snapper. The bail lever design is many times better than the stupid Snapper design (I can't even think of a name for that design) and I don't have the recoil rope to untangle every time you pull on it because there is no plastic routing pulley used.

I also have a Ariens LM-21 it is a great mower and is the first choice of the staff but it need the Kawi FJ180 to be a great mower....mine has the Techumseh Vector motor.

Along with the two Ariens mowers I have a few of the older Deeres. The new Deere mowers are crap and when the dealer tried to get me to take one on a demo, I refused to take it out of the show room. I told him I would not use that crap on any lawn nor would I expect my staff to operate junk like that, call me when Deere makes a good mower again!

The snapper mower design seems to be just a bunch of after thoughts on the part of the design engineer that is totally removed from his field! I truely believe that anyone that has used a mower for a few hours could come up with a better design!
Old 06-27-2010, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice to see another Canuck on here Yard-Dawg, I sympathize with the intense spring growth. You'll be happy to know I'm picking myself up an Ariens Pro 21 tomorrow.

'02 Dakota SXT V6
'96 F-150 V8 4x4
'10 6x12 CarryOn Utility Trailer
'05 John Deere L118
'10 6HP Ariens LM21
'06 6.5HP Toro Super Recycler 22's
Husqvarna 25R Trimmer
Ryobi S430 4-Cycle Trimmer w/ attachments
Stihl Backpack
Stihl Saws
Poulan Pro Sprayer
WB or ZTR coming soon (recommend something if you like)
Old 06-27-2010, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i like the good old 2 cycle lawnboys

ans there is about 20 of them a day on craigs list for between 80-100 bucks
lawnboy 21
bobcat 36 48 wb
redmax trimmers blowers
traler vac 16hp vanguard
scag sw52a-17ka
350 dump

lesco spreaders and tanks

Tags