Register free!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This tells me that I need to prepare to get rid of my PG and go with a Z before it reaches this point. I am NOT putting another 1600 bucks into a machine that will be having other stuff wear out, anyway.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I do not disagree. If the unit functions and you can get 2500 +/- than I would have done the same thing. I went with the kit because it was 1600 or 6000. Since it is not used everyday that was an easy decision. Had I known it was going I would have ditched it. It read 400 hrs and the guy I bought it from 3 years ago claimed it was barely used, which was believable at the time based on the minimal wear. Only when I took the engine out did I see it had already been repaired as per mashed screw heads, clutch repair, and RTV. I suspect that he put my engine on the machine he was keeping and put one of his old engines on mine. Either way this was my only choice for right now. I did want to show everyone my experience since it has not been here before.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if it does the job and last a few years I don't think $1600 is too bad, since you pretty much have a new machine. especially if it turns out to be an upgrade over then stock Ultra.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Alright finally got around to finishing it up. Flow is around 200 oz per minute with a trickle flow back to the tank. I suspect that the hose is limiting the flow sum. Nozzle flow is as expected around 48oz on the H side. There was one thing that the instructions made zero mention of. The instructions called for a standard hookup of the old hoses. This left the pump pushing against a closed valve with no relief. There was a set of hoses and plugs which I suspect was to be used to redirect the unused flow back the tank before the valve. This kept the circulation good and the pump moving free. Otherwise is works fine. There are some minor differences as the spreader and pump both go off ground speed now, similar I suspect to other PG models, but not sure. In the end it works, it is still the same old machine with the same problems sans pump and motor issues, and on its first day out pulled in 3K with out a major sweat.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Another update. Well the oil issue shows to be less than ideal. I am not a fan of suction oil removal after seeing what it can do to boat motors over the years. I have elected to remove the motor for oil changes. This is less than ideal but in the end it is four bolts and the throttle cable that need removal. The other issue I found is that the clutch belt seems a little large. At first the tensioner pulley was fine but after a while the belt stretched out and the pulley hits the frame causing it to not spin or even place tension on the pulley other than by just being in its location. Last issue I believe is the lack of a fuel filter. The idle jet has clogged up twice now after sitting for only 2 weeks at a time. The PG people are very helpful when you can get them on the phone, problem is it takes several attempts usually. I am still happy the machine runs, but wonder how many of these they have actually sold. For me it is OK, but if I had a fleet of these I would be unhappy about the added mechanic time.