Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

spraying in 90 + weather

Many of you talk about celcius for warm weather applications. It is very hard to find and don't hear much chatter about in around here.

What is best to spray on centipede in hot weather? Used sethoxydim at the low rate(1.5 oz per 1000 i think) with little kill. With it being so sensitive I always use the low rate. I know there is a fella from Hawaii that treats tons of centipede. Hope he will chime in with his thoughts.

Bermuda been using Q4 or Quincept and prosedge for treatments for crab and broadleafs.

fescue I have been skipping cause it is really browning out and concerned that 90+ degrees and little rain will really harm the turf.

I don't have concerns about spraying bermuda as it is pretty tough to harm. Really concerened with fescue and centipedes. Would love to hear your thoughts and actual products you guys are using or ones you don't like. Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is not the rate or temperature that determines turf tolerance. It is the condition and cultural practices used to maintain the lawn. Spraying lawns that are undergoing drought stress and a lack of fertilizer will probably not turn out the way you intended. For one thing, under those conditions, the weeds are less susceptible to the selective herbicides, the turf is more sensitive. I use the high rate of sethoxydim in a sequential application on centipede no problems. But the lawn is well watered and it has been on my fertilizer program for at least 30 days, which can consist of two applications of fertilizer if the lawn has been neglected. I am also not spot spraying. Everything goes through a boom. Warm season grasses are actually quite tolerant of being sprayed. Fescue is best left alone until cooler weather comes around. I do not know of any compensation for day and night temperatures being 20 degrees above the point where a cool season turf is metabolically shut down, not able to detoxify chemicals applied to it.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 06-29-2010, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Getting ready to try the Celsius + Revolver combo for Dallisgrass but that label mix is for spot treatment not broadcast or blanket coverage. Any thoughts as to tank mixes? Probably talk with Bayer Rep before proceeding would be best solution.