Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Around that firepit would be a hell of a place to sit and drink a cold one!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
That flaging looks nice
Ya, it's pretty cool. It's from Arizona. I'll have to take a few up close pics of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonts Landscaping View Post
Around that firepit would be a hell of a place to sit and drink a cold one!
Heck ya. That might happen after the job is done. The HO keeps offering me beer, but I keep refusing until the job is finished.

The fire-pit is done. I should be done with everything tomorrow.

Name:  Wwall25.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  286.9 KB

Name:  Wwall26.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  350.7 KB

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gardens is that someones back yard or a public park,
Old 07-01-2010, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
Gardens is that someones back yard or a public park,
Someones back yard. It would be awesome if it was at a park, that would be some killer exposure.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

keep the pictures coming I like looking at your work
Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lookin good.
Wright 36" RH 07"
Redmax trimmer
Echo srm 225
Stihl fs90
Redmax hb28
Redmax eb7500 backpack blower
Rubbermaid cans 32gal
Solo backpack sprayer
A few more things..
Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would have gone with larger flagstone for the cap. To me it looks disproportionate to the limestone and circle. The circle looks good though. What is going around it?...hardscape wise?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Is the fire pit built on a footing? Is there a drain system within the center? Are there weep holes for air to keep the fire from burning itself out? I agree larger stones for the cap would have looked better. What mortar did you use to keep it from cracking with the heat from the fire?

I am only asking to help you out, I have done dozens of these and there are a few simple extras that will make you stand out from the other "contractors".

When the fire gets hot I have noticed that the mortar joints will crack. Mix Type N with some fire clay and that seems to help that from happening.

You seem to take alot of pride in your work and in this industry that will set you apart. I am more of a lurker that a poster I will ahve to post some of our hardscape work soon.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

weep holes to keep the fire from burning out..... I never have
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit L & D View Post
I would have gone with larger flagstone for the cap. To me it looks disproportionate to the limestone and circle. The circle looks good though. What is going around it?...hardscape wise?
Maybe out of proportion, but it looks good in person. Around the pit is that Arizona sandstone that I laid in the rest of the project. I was going to use it as a cap but I felt the sandstone was too "soft" and wouldn't hold up on the top of the fire-pit. The flagstone for the top is a fondulac flagstone and came in two big sheets. I started to break it with a hammer, but it broke in smaller chunks than I wanted. I tried to use a chisel, score it with my diamond blade, and chip it with a rock hammer and it was extremely hard to control the breaks. That's why there are more smaller pieces in the top than I intended. The only bonus is that flag won't crack from the heat or at least it will be resistant. I went back and forth on what to use for the top and this flag was harder than any other product, including the wall stone that I used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird21 View Post
Is the fire pit built on a footing? Is there a drain system within the center? Are there weep holes for air to keep the fire from burning itself out? I agree larger stones for the cap would have looked better. What mortar did you use to keep it from cracking with the heat from the fire?

I am only asking to help you out, I have done dozens of these and there are a few simple extras that will make you stand out from the other "contractors".

When the fire gets hot I have noticed that the mortar joints will crack. Mix Type N with some fire clay and that seems to help that from happening.

You seem to take alot of pride in your work and in this industry that will set you apart. I am more of a lurker that a poster I will ahve to post some of our hardscape work soon.
It's on a 3 inch concrete footer with 40 ft. of 3/8th re-bar in footer. The fire-brick in the center was built with Fire-mortar that was 70dollars for a 50 pound bag. The mortar on the flag is type S mortar with the fiber reinforcement that I use for a lot of stuff for the strength value. The mortar for the flag towards the center fire-brick is a fire stop-mortar, but the rest is type S.

The center of the pit has a 6 inch wide, 18 inch long piece of PVC that is capped on both ends, and multiple holes are drilled in it. It is also filled with washed gravel, and I glued some thin landscape fabric around the pipe to keep the silt out of it. It's basically a void to get the water below the hard-pan.

The void between the fire-brick and outside stone is filled with a combo of type S and concrete along with a ring of re-bar around the middle course.

The wall of the pit isn't high enough to warrant any "weep" holes or air holes to fuel the fire. I discussed that with the HO as they were worried if it was too tall, if the wood on the bottom would burn without proper air-flow.

Any more questions, keep them coming. .

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I also want to add is that if the the flag ever starts to pop on top, I have a few tricks up my sleeve to repair it and make it blend in to what is already there.