Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdconsoli View Post
Do you guys ever have a customer try to dictate when you mow? I understand it's their yard and I dont mean I should be able to show up when I want to and cut as much as I want to. I cut for a guy who told me in April that he wanted his yard cut every 10 days. Now all of a sudden it's hot out and now he wants it cut every 2 weeks. Now, I do not care a bit how often he wants his grass cut, that's up to him. But PLEASE. Pick one and stick with it!! Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do about it?

One more thing - what do you guys do about customers that don't pay? I don't use contracts so I cant go through court and the lady will not talk to me at all. I am out a total of about $325. Is there anything I can do about it?
Sounds horrible man. Two things come to mind for your situation. 1. Have a contract. 2. Drop the lady because you are spinning your wheels maintaining her property without her paying you. Move on to the many other people who will pay you. About the part where the client tries the ol' switcharoo on ya and messes up your schedule. It happens all the time lol. Yet another reason for a contract. If I wasn't using a contract, I would make it painfully clear with the client beforehand what is expected of them and what they are expecting of you. Make it painfully clear that you aren't going to switch your schedule constantly. It benefits you and them too! Have them give you a specific date vise versa and stick to that.

Shindaiwa T242X
Echo SRM225
Redmax EBZ8001
Snapper Commercial 21
Homemade landscape box
Plenty of soon to comes
Old 06-26-2010, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a guy ask me last week, if my 130.00 mowing cost each month includes trimming his hedges, keeping the weeds out and fertilizing.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmorgan89 View Post
Anyone else been accused of planting weeds?
Been accused of cutting down a $300 weed . We did go back to her yard after that.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlylandscaper View Post
Been accused of cutting down a $300 weed . We did go back to her yard after that.
This thread is one of the most hilarious ones I have seen. We should start more"comedic" threads lol. A $300 dollar weed huh? must have been marijuana lol, just kidding. There are some crazy people out there, just look at the clients that we have lol.

Shindaiwa T242X
Echo SRM225
Redmax EBZ8001
Snapper Commercial 21
Homemade landscape box
Plenty of soon to comes
Old 06-26-2010, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Industry Pro View Post
This thread is one of the most hilarious ones I have seen. We should start more"comedic" threads lol. A $300 dollar weed huh? must have been marijuana lol, just kidding. There are some crazy people out there, just look at the clients that we have lol.
She was trying to find away to get us to give her a discount.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a lady call several years ago and ask why I had not been to her property to mow in over 3 weeks. I replied, I had not been to her property in over 3 years because she was such a pain and so daffy and apparently her current service felt the same way.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Industry Pro View Post
Sounds horrible man. Two things come to mind for your situation. 1. Have a contract. 2. Drop the lady because you are spinning your wheels maintaining her property without her paying you. Move on to the many other people who will pay you. About the part where the client tries the ol' switcharoo on ya and messes up your schedule. It happens all the time lol. Yet another reason for a contract. If I wasn't using a contract, I would make it painfully clear with the client beforehand what is expected of them and what they are expecting of you. Make it painfully clear that you aren't going to switch your schedule constantly. It benefits you and them too! Have them give you a specific date vise versa and stick to that.
The lady that wouldn't pay I cut for last season. By the time I realized I wasn't going to get paid, it was mid October so it didn't really make a point when I stopped cutting lol.
The guy who pulls the "ol' switcharoo" - I tried and thought I did make it clear that when he said every 10 days I was going to stick to that, but either I didnt or he doesn't care. I only have 7 yards so it's not [I]that[I] big of a deal but it's still a PITA. Things are better now than they used to be. The first year I cut for him I would get a text every 4 or 5 days with an update on his yard. Either "grass doesn't need cutting until it rains" or "can you cut tomorrow?" and other things like that. That's how he feels in relation to me lol I dont even get a phone call all I'm worth is a text message. For $70 a cut I guess I can't ***** too much.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdconsoli View Post
One more thing - what do you guys do about customers that don't pay? I don't use contracts so I cant go through court and the lady will not talk to me at all. I am out a total of about $325. Is there anything I can do about it?
All you have to do is burn her house down.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoat View Post
All you have to do is burn her house down.
Lol I'm tempted to but she ain't worth it.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Customer: "I thought you caught the front"

Me: "Excuse me?"

"I thought you caught the front"

"We are cutting the front"

"No no no no no no!!! Catch the front, you know, the grass"

"Oh, bag!!! Yeah, I can throw a bag on for you"

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts