Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerKing10 View Post
I have the Toro Proline 21 and I love it.
Same here, awesum mowers!!
Old 07-03-2010, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepoutside View Post
Same here, awesum mowers!!
I like the mower as well but do you like the bags on them? I find them a complete pita to empty. I need to use a pail with a bag plus bounce it up and down several times to get the grass out. The cheaper toros i could fit a plastic bag right over the grass bag it self and it's done just like that.

My 21 is a toro heavy duty recycler commercial. It cost me $1350 I should have bought an MTD with honda engine for all I use it. But I did learn that the BBC is a fantastic feature.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHop6299 View Post
Again--- with the 21in mowers???
No more than I use a 21 , I buy throw-a-ways from Lowes or H/D
When you have a large number of very small contracts that are all 20 min jobs for a 2 man crew, commercial push mowers are the machines making you your money. For a number of us operations these mowers are running several hours a day. I'd bust through a home cheapo mower in less than a month, and it cuts like **** to boot. Big mowers are great on properties that are suited to them, but to do a small residential, you're better off with a 21.

'02 Dakota SXT V6
'96 F-150 V8 4x4
'10 6x12 CarryOn Utility Trailer
'05 John Deere L118
'10 6HP Ariens LM21
'06 6.5HP Toro Super Recycler 22's
Husqvarna 25R Trimmer
Ryobi S430 4-Cycle Trimmer w/ attachments
Stihl Backpack
Stihl Saws
Poulan Pro Sprayer
WB or ZTR coming soon (recommend something if you like)
Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawncutting27 View Post
I like the mower as well but do you like the bags on them? I find them a complete pita to empty. I need to use a pail with a bag plus bounce it up and down several times to get the grass out. The cheaper toros i could fit a plastic bag right over the grass bag it self and it's done just like that.

My 21 is a toro heavy duty recycler commercial. It cost me $1350 I should have bought an MTD with honda engine for all I use it. But I did learn that the BBC is a fantastic feature.
THis is true, and one reason I'm thinking of getting a new ex-mark, just for the bag
Old 07-03-2010, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenShoesLC View Post
When you have a large number of very small contracts that are all 20 min jobs for a 2 man crew, commercial push mowers are the machines making you your money. For a number of us operations these mowers are running several hours a day. I'd bust through a home cheapo mower in less than a month, and it cuts like **** to boot. Big mowers are great on properties that are suited to them, but to do a small residential, you're better off with a 21.
This is true, right equipment for the job. Most of ours are cookie cutter lots, so we use the 21's the most, and demand the best.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawncutting27 View Post

yet another person i have found who actually "bags" the grass.

why do you people mess with putting the clipping in bags. that is what the truck bed is for. when i bag grass in the front yard the catcher gets directly dumped into the truck bed. in the backyard i use a 55 gallon drum i cut in half to dump the catcher in and then that when full gets directly dumped into the truck bed.

no bags to mess with, no bags to line the catcher with. plain and simple.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

toro personal pace commercial has worked well for me...but i dont bag with it...and my help really likes the ease of use and rear wheel power...
Old 07-03-2010, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
yet another person i have found who actually "bags" the grass.

why do you people mess with putting the clipping in bags. that is what the truck bed is for. when i bag grass in the front yard the catcher gets directly dumped into the truck bed. in the backyard i use a 55 gallon drum i cut in half to dump the catcher in and then that when full gets directly dumped into the truck bed.

no bags to mess with, no bags to line the catcher with. plain and simple.
I bag almost every yard i do in the spring because of the lush grass that can't be mulched. we are just starting to be able to mulch some properties now that the summer heat has hit and the grass growth slows down.

I would NEVER dump the clippings into the truck box for the simple reason that I have to pay $35.00 to unload at the land fill (commercial rate), and I would have to make at least two loads a day. It is easier and a lot cheaper ($0.03 per bag)to bag it and put the bags in the customers garbage container and then the city takes them to the land fill & I don't have to fix flat tires either!
By doing it this way when we drive away from the job site the job is done, no unloading still to do!
Old 07-03-2010, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard-Dawg View Post
I bag almost every yard i do in the spring because of the lush grass that can't be mulched. we are just starting to be able to mulch some properties now that the summer heat has hit and the grass growth slows down.

I would NEVER dump the clippings into the truck box for the simple reason that I have to pay $35.00 to unload at the land fill (commercial rate), and I would have to make at least two loads a day. It is easier and a lot cheaper ($0.03 per bag)to bag it and put the bags in the customers garbage container and then the city takes them to the land fill & I don't have to fix flat tires either!
By doing it this way when we drive away from the job site the job is done, no unloading still to do!
$35 is steep. but around my neck of the woods we have a compost site to dump leaves, grass clippings, tree branches, hedge clippings, etc. for a commercial outfit like you and me min. $4 per truck load. goes by weight. i can usually get by with the $4 charge.

this year has been killing me though. we've had so much rain and moisture my bill for May's dumpings was $57. but thats why i charge more for bagging grass.

like you we are just now starting to be able to mulch and side discharge our lawns.

but i would hate to try and fill a bag with my 3 bushel grass catcher i use on my 36" and 52" mowers. i just walk to the truck bed and dump it there. at the end of the day the bed is full or sometimes over full and i empty out with the truck unloader i have and i'm ready for the next day.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess we're really lucky around here. I dump my clippings right into the truck bed and then offload them at the municipal dump. No charge. if you think about it, it's grass, it makes great compost and they should almost be paying you for it!

'02 Dakota SXT V6
'96 F-150 V8 4x4
'10 6x12 CarryOn Utility Trailer
'05 John Deere L118
'10 6HP Ariens LM21
'06 6.5HP Toro Super Recycler 22's
Husqvarna 25R Trimmer
Ryobi S430 4-Cycle Trimmer w/ attachments
Stihl Backpack
Stihl Saws
Poulan Pro Sprayer
WB or ZTR coming soon (recommend something if you like)

Tags
ariens , commercial-grade mower , equipment , mower advice , push mower