Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-27-2010, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about this in the shower:

We both knoow that some skill is involved in both lines of work - mowing and washing. Can anyone run a ZTR, edger, hedgers, etc... Most likely not

Can anyone use a $1200 + power washer and do delicate trim work 3 stories in the air? No.

On the other hand, can anyone use a Home depot lawnboy ower and cut their grass? Yes, and it will probably look good with a few practices.

Can anyone use a powerwasher to clean their driveway? of course, but it won't look as even as professional stuff.

Obviously, a certain amount of skill is required to do more than simply mow grass or clean cement. Maybe they are trades, maybe they are occupations, who cares? As long as a viable service is being provided.

Thats it.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Some times it is boring and requires little skill, but you still need to know what you are doing, or you can cause some damage. Same with mowing too!!! This is the profession that we have chosen. It CAN be hard work, it can be challenging work, it also can be so simple a monkey can do it. The challenging work is what i love. And by the way, my buisness does professional washing, professional mowing, professional painting, and professional plowing. Comercial, residential and industrial. Gotta have some knowledge in all of them. No school for them. I am feeding my family of 4, and 3 other families. In todays economy, THAT is what is important. Who cares if somebody thinks a monkey can do my job, some times I wish I had one to do it for me!!!! I chose this lifestyle, I am proud of where I am at in life, and what I have earned. NOBODY handed me any money, mommy and daddy didnt help me out, didnt buy any buisness out. All from scratch. That is something to stand for, and I will!
Old 06-28-2010, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman682 View Post
EXACTLY!!!!!!! Some times it is boring and requires little skill, but you still need to know what you are doing, or you can cause some damage. Same with mowing too!!! This is the profession that we have chosen. It CAN be hard work, it can be challenging work, it also can be so simple a monkey can do it. The challenging work is what i love. And by the way, my buisness does professional washing, professional mowing, professional painting, and professional plowing. Comercial, residential and industrial. Gotta have some knowledge in all of them. No school for them. I am feeding my family of 4, and 3 other families. In todays economy, THAT is what is important. Who cares if somebody thinks a monkey can do my job, some times I wish I had one to do it for me!!!! I chose this lifestyle, I am proud of where I am at in life, and what I have earned. NOBODY handed me any money, mommy and daddy didnt help me out, didnt buy any buisness out. All from scratch. That is something to stand for, and I will!
You are preaching to the choir buddy. I totally agree. I didn't say that you didnt need a little instruction, I am in the business too. I said I have trained the dumbest guys to mow. "trained" I am not ashamed of what I do either. Just saying it isnt rocket science.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobroslawns View Post
So what if the house is sided? can you spray from the ground upward and not get water up under the boards? What type of nozzle do you use?

Saturday our gr0und force started vibrating, not like a mower might but it was almost pulling itself around in circles and the performance was a lot worse than usual. It is still a couple months old so it MUST still be under warrenty. I'm gonna bring it in soon.
On a different note, my brother put the white noxxle in our wand and didn't click it in and he shot it out into the woods. $7 down the drain. (no pun intended)
Just a clogged tip. It's ok now

So what if the house is sided? can you spray from the ground upward and not get water up under the boards? What type of nozzle do you use?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Just a clogged tip. It's ok now

you guys have no interest in learning about Power washing and I understand that..

I am sure there are plenty of guys in your field of expertise that are not as skilled or knowledgeable as you so why not try to help them?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Geeze, All I did was ask a question and then Yall sound like a bunch of 5 year old cry babies who dropped their candy in the dirt.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCinNJ View Post
you guys have no interest in learning about Power washing and I understand that..

I am sure there are plenty of guys in your field of expertise that are not as skilled or knowledgeable as you so why not try to help them?
But I actually am interested in learning not fighting. Have any mowing questions for me? I'd be happy to answer them
Old 07-03-2010, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
But I actually am interested in learning not fighting. Have any mowing questions for me? I'd be happy to answer them
I wasnt looking for a fight either. I didnt realize it was a revelation that powerwashing and cutting grass wasnt rocket science or dentistry or surgical work. Apparently others think different?