Register free!

Old 07-02-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
lol koo, there are no pictures and i'm not goin back to take pictures!

The client also says he was a stone mason for "10 years". The job was already started and there was no talking him out of doing it his way. He told me the 1st night he called me "....you can't tell me anything about stone, I was a mason for 10 years...."

Sounds like you had the ultimate combination for a nightmare customer.
I love it when they all of a sudden become professional masons and yet they don't know the first bit of terminology that goes along with it.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah - seems all our customers either worked as "landscapers" in college.....or they have an uncle out in Washington state that's a Stone mason...........

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Havent done a job like that, but I am a subcontractor for a pool company.

well I get a job to go change the sand in a filter, and put a new pump on.

Well I do that and the pool company installed a liner and it wasnt ready yet so I couldnt start the equipment see if it leaked, so I left.

Well they started the equipment, it was leaking so I went back, cut off the leaking valve, and made it better by installing 2 valves.

I get a call that afternoon from the customer saying his pumps burnt up, no water is coming through. I said "well sir, it ran just fine a few hours ago. Whats it doing?"

He said, "The trash inside is moving around, and theres no splashing of water and the valves wont open!"

I said, "Sir, thats what its suppose to do. Thats as close to perfect and it can be without jesus himself doing it. And the valves handles should be straight up and down when they are open."

He continued to argue saying, "Well my friend owns a pool company, and he says its burnt up and you installed the valves backward" I kinda chuckled and I told him, "the liner guys will be out to balance the pool later, I'll have them call you when they are on there way"

So they did, and got ahold of the wife, and she said, "The pools flowing fine, but the pumps burnt up" I laughed! They got the wife and the husband at the pump, turned it off, pulled the lid off and water shot out. They said the husbands face went from all hardass to some beat looking dog.

He hasnt called me since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Didn't read it all, hope you got your $ out of it to cover you or go reclaim the stone while he's gone. Then let him go effin redo it and go effin buy the stone and then do a effin horrible job and realize how effin stupid he is.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yep - paid in full! I got a deposit that covered the materials, and his wife paid the balance the day we finished.

He has 10 acres, house sits off the road and I Can't really go on the property to see if he's redid it because he has 3 teenage kids, so there's always someone there.

It's a shame, until this we hit it off great.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.