Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-03-2010, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdconsoli View Post
One more thing - what do you guys do about customers that don't pay? I don't use contracts so I cant go through court and the lady will not talk to me at all. I am out a total of about $325. Is there anything I can do about it?
Brand new sod is a whole lot more expensive than just paying you the $325 if you catch my drift..

'02 Dakota SXT V6
'96 F-150 V8 4x4
'10 6x12 CarryOn Utility Trailer
'05 John Deere L118
'10 6HP Ariens LM21
'06 6.5HP Toro Super Recycler 22's
Husqvarna 25R Trimmer
Ryobi S430 4-Cycle Trimmer w/ attachments
Stihl Backpack
Stihl Saws
Poulan Pro Sprayer
WB or ZTR coming soon (recommend something if you like)
Old 07-03-2010, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

a lady stopped me and told me to stop blowing her driveway off because my blower would start a tornado. same lady told me to be careful mowing her yard because it was in a 100 year flood plain.
20' landscape trailer - 6.5x12 landscape trailer
5x10 utility trailer
'03 lazer 23/60 ,'05 lazer xs 31/72, 2010 lazer 29/60
'02 metro 14/36
15 shindaiwa handhelds, 3 echo saws
2 stihl fs100rx's, 1 stihl br600 magnum
'92 long 2360/6'king kutter w/7.5x18 trailer

lawn sprinklers save your grass, fire sprinklers save your -----
Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Industry Pro View Post
This thread is one of the most hilarious ones I have seen. We should start more"comedic" threads lol. A $300 dollar weed huh? must have been marijuana lol, just kidding. There are some crazy people out there, just look at the clients that we have lol.
Haha, just what I was thinking, these threads are so fun!
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-04-2010, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twcw5804 View Post
I had the best one last week but not about my service. My 94 year old lady that loves to talk wanted me to go downstairs to check the knob that broke on her washer. When i went downstairs to look I heard a beeping noise every minute. The week before she had complained about a cricket in her basement keeping her up and that she had her nephew bomb the basement but its still alive cause she still hears it. She wanted me to clean up some items around her basement windows and AC to keep "crickets" from wanting to get in. So as I'm down in the basement I ask her if she has a smoke detector and she says no. It did it again and I turned around and sure enough hanging in the ceiling was a smoke detector with a dead battery. I told her she should stop hearing it now, but she still insisted she had a cricket. I finished mowing and then got a pair of pliers to help her start her load of laundry and she did say the noise had stopped, but then showed me plastic container that she had put a dead "cricket" in a few days prior that she was saving to show her nephew who bombed. In the plastic container, a shrivled up white flower from a weed in the yard that you would find most typically in clover. I just smiled and nodded and said, yep you got him.
Hahahaha! That's funny
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i took a guy to court for non payment a few years ago, his exact quote to the judge was that even though he signed the contract i made to much per hour. he then told the judge that he feels that about a third would be acceptable as that would put me in line with what he makes per hour. he didnt account for the materials used or that i had myself plus another guy there. i think the judge had a hard time keeping a straight face as he tried to argue his point.

join us on FACEBOOK www.facebook.com/ClarkLawnMaint
Old 07-05-2010, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLARK LAWN View Post
i took a guy to court for non payment a few years ago, his exact quote to the judge was that even though he signed the contract i made to much per hour. he then told the judge that he feels that about a third would be acceptable as that would put me in line with what he makes per hour. he didnt account for the materials used or that i had myself plus another guy there. i think the judge had a hard time keeping a straight face as he tried to argue his point.
That is just pitiful! I had a Russian lady with 0.9 acre lawn whom I quoted $80 for which included catching the grass and hedge trimming.. She asked how long would it take me to do it (me working alone)? I told her no more than 2 hours.
She said WHAT!?? So you're making $40 per hour??? :O. I said well.. You have to count the gas it takes me to get here. Gas to run equipment, equipment wear and tear.. And then I'll end up with probably $30/hour or less. She said that's still waaay too much!!! I work for $10/hour! If you want, I can pay you no more than $30 for the job. $10 for gas and $20 for your labor.
So I just laughed at her as I got in my truck and left.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty funny how people don't understand what it takes to run a business.

I think it would be a good idea to make a list of every expense you have as a business owner (phone, equipment, gas, schooling, etc.), show it to complaining custoemers and see if they still think the prices are high.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't mow my yard with your 32in WB Husq turf mower because it doesn't look as good as your 300$ honda 21in MULCHER?!

I charged her double.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

half way done the yard the lady come out and saids it is to hot to cut the grass. I was like it is just 95 out.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That happens to me all the time in the old folks community, I hate when they tell me it's too hot for me to mow. It's never it's too hot for the grass to be mowed, it's too hot for you to be outside doing the work.