Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2010, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

starting up need opinions please

hello everyone, this is my first post. i am a full time concrete boom pump operator, but am working on getting a part time business together in hopes to make some extra money and to have to hand down to my son when the time comes. i need to decide on the name of the business so i can get the necessary licenses and insurance and tax numbers etc. i do not want to limit myself to lawn mowing only as i will be doing concrete work and light hauling also. my last name is stonich so in order to allow for expansion i was considering going with Stonich Enterprises with a list of services offered under the name on my advertisement. do you all think this is a good idea? any suggestions or criticism welcome. i appreciate the help
Old 07-04-2010, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

getting your name out there is VERY importaint. BUT your name needs to say wht you do.

stonich enterprises, tells me nothing.

Come up with a name that says what you do...."Stone Cement works" I know what that is...

in the future if you wish to expand into other operations, you can do this several ways.
" I'm doing it right now "

I am King Lawn Care.
under this parrent company there is another company. that does power washing.
I have added this to our menu, however noone would call King Lawn care for power washing. Nor would they call them for tree trimming. or even sod.

lets face it. a JACK of all trades, gets his business, however Pets Power washing. will get more power washing than king lawn care.

So instead of advertiseing
KING LAWN CARE, Cutting grass, planting, fences, power washing, sod, trimming bushes. hauling,

We say, king lawn care & landscaping.
then we have the powerwashing co.
then we have the pool service.

if one of these, "add on's" fails, they dont take the parrent co. down with them.

I hope this makes sence to you...

Best of luck
Old 07-04-2010, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Joe View Post
hello everyone, this is my first post. i am a full time concrete boom pump operator, but am working on getting a part time business together in hopes to make some extra money and to have to hand down to my son when the time comes. i need to decide on the name of the business so i can get the necessary licenses and insurance and tax numbers etc. i do not want to limit myself to lawn mowing only as i will be doing concrete work and light hauling also. my last name is stonich so in order to allow for expansion i was considering going with Stonich Enterprises with a list of services offered under the name on my advertisement. do you all think this is a good idea? any suggestions or criticism welcome. i appreciate the help
Your name is fine. It's the marketing you do, the projects you go after that count. Of course, the real money is not in residential, it's in multiple housing, condos mainly. Why you ask. Well, it's important to understand one principal which drives these people. In multiply housing, the board of directors are usually spending other peoples money, so it's easy for them to make quick decisions, it's not their hard earned money. Residential on the other hand, well they've worked damn hard for every dime, and they are tighter than scrooge. If you understand this principle, it's easy to make real money from there, if you don't, you'll be joining the quajillion of other mowing guys out there...

Good luck.