Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

36" vs. 48"

Hi all,
was getting some opinions from everyone on the size of the walk behind they think is more beneficial to there company. 36 or 48". I have an opportunity to acquire each, but looking at pros and cons. I can get a 36" ransomes that requires a new tranny for $250. Or i can get a 48" scag that needs a new engine for around $500. Both belt driven. I've never used a 36", and i hate to go smaller and wish i wouldn't have. But i'm also looking at the $$$$ factor. Gimme your 2 cents, much appreciated.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think the difference in the mowers is pretty obvious. You should be able to make this decision yourself by driving around where you intend to mow and see what the gates and yards will allow you to use there. Look at what others have on their trailers and see if they are carrying smaller mowers.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

the difference is about a foot... look at your props and see. a 36 can be used pretty much everywhere, but in areas where a 48 *could* be used, it is less productive etc etc
Old 07-07-2010, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought I was getting a 36 but decided to get a 48 instead since I found a great price on one and I wasn't cutting many lawns with gates I couldn't fit in the back. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

with no clients at this point my options are quit open. I guess i'll have to go with my instinct on the 48". it is a scag, and i will be able to save some time on mowing. Plus i can pick up a few larger accounts without worrying to much. Was just curious of what everyone uses or prefers. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy119 View Post
with no clients at this point my options are quit open. I guess i'll have to go with my instinct on the 48". it is a scag, and i will be able to save some time on mowing. Plus i can pick up a few larger accounts without worrying to much. Was just curious of what everyone uses or prefers. Thanks.
IMO - I would start with the 36. If you have no accounts - why would you limit yourself. You can always upgrade later but you can not make that 48 fit through a gate later.

I started with a 36 inch z down here almost two years ago - still using it to this day with 79 accounts. I am now looking to upgrade - but the 36 was a good investment because it will remain on the trailer for the smaller properties.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireguy119 View Post
If you have no customers, you limit yourself with the 48 -- buy the 36.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

I have found that on smaller residentials I like the look of the 36" cut better than the 48". Just my opinion. Some customers actually ask for the smaller cut, but there is the time factor to consider.. You certainly will be able to complete the job faster with the bigger mower.
Stihl 600 mag blower
Stihl pb75 Blower
Stihl Fs80 Trimmer
Shidaiwa 22T Trimmer