Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2001, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Landscaping advertisment???How???Where???When???

Hello all! Just curious what types of advertising do most of you do. I have hit sort of a slow time and am thinking about a newspaper ad or some other form of advertising. I am probably jumping the gun because I'm sure that as soon as I place an ad I will be busy again without any calls from the ad.

I may have made a mistake early in the year by getting out of lawn maintenance and just doing landscaping. I figure with time the landscape work will be enough. This year has been good but its either feast or famine.

Any thoughts or ideas on how one could drum up some new landscape work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-27-2001, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For my advertising dollars I've done tons better using door hangers than I have with ads in the paper. Tell 'em what you do, show 'em if you can, and tell 'em how to contact you.

If you can drum up some free media attention, too, that'd be a big help. We just had a 2-page story done about us and our use of feng shui in design. Big picture on the cover of the paper's weekly Home section, too.
Old 08-27-2001, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

FLIERS WORK GREAT FOR ME, AND I FOUND THE BEST TIME TO PUT THEM ON PEOPLES DOORS IS SEPT AND OCT. THAT IS USUALLY WHEN THE SEASON IS OVER FOR THOSE THAT USE THE CHEAP TOOLS AND THEY ARE READY TO PAY TO HAVE A PROFESSIONAL TAKE CARE OF THEIR LAWNS
Old 08-27-2001, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stone,

how many calls have you received since the article. I've always wanted to know 'in person' what this can do for a company. Congratulations by the way on getting a article published on your company.

Also, I've always been a big fan of leaving signs on previous jobs after they are completed. Nothing better than having your name standing in front of a freshly done install to drum up business. Also, most clients usually have no problems, at least for a few weeks....

steveair
Old 08-27-2001, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, knowing the article was coming out in Saturday's paper, I went out early that morning and hung our usual packet of info on 100 doors, along with a note to look in the paper for the article.

We had one call within an hour of returning from hanging the 100 hangers.

Today I've had three more calls. The thing that's neat about this is I know I'll continue to get calls for 2 years on this. For articles that ran in the past, people told me they clipped the article and hung it on their fridge until they were ready to get some work done, sometimes 2 years down the road.

The first article I had done I had my wife man the phones that Saturday, thinking we'd be mobbed. I was disappointed when we didn't get a single call, but realistically, that's not how people work. I've never read an article in the paper and said 'I have to have that NOW', darted to the phone and started dialing.

Another benefit is that I copy the articles and give them to potential clients along with reference lists, etc. I'm surprised at how infuential those articles are. Customers always comment about how they were really impressed with this or that article. These articles lend instant credibility to a potential customer who may not have otherwise heard of you. And it's a third party endorsement of sorts, so it's 10x more effective than placing an ad in the paper. Not to mention, it'd likely cost me $5K to run an ad like what I got - the same article is reproduced in 3-4 of the regional papers (all owned by the same company), so it's like placing a full page and a half newspaper ad, in color, in all the papers. Plus, it's something people look to read, not look to avoid.

I don't place many yard signs, only because the majority of what we do can't be seen from the street or the front yard.
Old 08-30-2001, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Back to the original question;

Flyers, flyers, flyers! They are the best ROI, by far!

I've done just about every single type of advertising except radio and TV. And by far, door flyers are the best. Although we are fortunate to live in a community where houses are big but lots are small and crammed in right next to one another. So we can do 50-100 flyers per hour per person.

We slowed down a few weeks ago and I sent a few of the guys out to lay flyers. We've laid 1000 flyers over the last few weeks and are busy as heck now.

In my experience, the classifieds section of the newspaper only produces very marginal results this time of year. It works great in the spring but not now.

Only problem with flyers is they require getting off your butt without any immediate pay. And it's sad to say I know a ton of struggling landscapers who would be doing so much better if they'd just get off their butt and put out some flyers.

p.s. bought a new truck a few weeks ago and the deal with the wife was I was supposed to go out and lay flyers and generate enough new lawn care clients to cover the monthly payment. I did and we landed 5 new year-round accounts in the last few weeks. They work!

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 09-07-2001, 11:33 PM
t

ADVERTISMENT

I JUST STARTED A LANDSCAPE BUSINESS IN MARCH. THATS WHAT I DID WAS FLYERS GLAD TO HERE IT IVE PUT ADS IN THE PAPERS BUT THE FLYERS WORKED THE BEST
Old 09-08-2001, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Iv'e tried most form s of advertising and I think the most solid is refferals. When you are reffered to a potential client from a satisfied existing client you have a better than 50% chance of getting the job. When I ran an ad in the local papers Out of 100 estimates I got 5 jobs 3 maint contracts and 2 installs. It paid for the ad which cost about $600. But the hours spent on the other 95 estimates of just tire kickers was extremely frustrating. But I guess that 's how it goes in business. But for me refferals have paid off the best. and door to door. At least door to door you can be selective on the properties you hit. Best of luck

As far as landscape work only.. that's the way it is feast or famine. It's hard to be really busy all the time with that type of work unless you are handling hugh projects that consume months at a time..
Old 07-09-2010, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Cowtown Door Hanger

I have a local lawn care business and get these door hangers on my door. i tried them out (Cowtown) and got a GREAT response. i will definitely do this form of advertising again.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Sponsor

Hey there, My name is Robin and I just wanted to comment on our innovative Band-It & Stick-It Door Hanger styles we offer. We constantly heard the struggle distributors face when the traditional die cut hole door hangers wouldn't fit or would easily fall off the knobs and end up in the yard. Our solution is our Band-It & Stick-It style Door Hangers. You can feel confident it will reach every door and with the Stick-It feature now your customer can put it on their fridge like a magnet and keep your information at hand and in view.

2500 Hangers - Full color / gloss / 4.25 x 11 / Band-It Style
$169 INCLUDES FREE CUSTOM DESIGN & FREE SHIPPING!
($199 with both Band-It and Stick-It on each hanger)

or 5,000 for $295
($349 with both Band-It and Stick-It on each hanger)

Call now or visit our website & tell them ROBIN POSTED TO YOUR LAWNSITE DISCUSSION - also we are mentioned several times in the forums on here so search for Adeas Printing as well to see what people are saying. 866-778-4254 or www.adeasprinting.com/door-hangers