Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2010, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

think my hydro pump is going bad....fix it or run it till it breaks?

i have a exmark turf tracer, i believe my right pump is going bad. yesterday while running in 97 degree heat for about 3 hours straight my right pump started making a racket. it just started all of a sudden. it seems like the more i idle it up the less sound, or the engine is louder and i cant hear the clanging. or is this because its not getting enough oil? maybe my hoses are collapsed, or a valve stuck? if not this then i figure the pump is going bad. i just had a new clutch and wiring harness put in. my local dealer did it and when i realized a month ago the clutch is going, he said run "it till it dies". so i did.... do i do the same with the pump? if its going bad?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

fix it. If you have a catastrophic failure it could cause further damage to your wheel motors or the other pump by sending metal shaving through the system. I knbow there is a filter but trust me you dont want anymore metal going through those pumps or wheel motors
Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

def fix it before it stops working all together, when the hydro pump went on my lazer z it cross contaminated the other pump and both wheel motors, the mechanic spent like 5 hours flushing the system to try and get all the metal shavens out of the system. it cost me just about a grand to do one hydro pump, and from what i was told its about a grand for each pump and each wheel motor, so it could have been 4k to replace both pumps and both wheel motors if they broke because of the metal shavens as well.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
def fix it before it stops working all together, when the hydro pump went on my lazer z it cross contaminated the other pump and both wheel motors, the mechanic spent like 5 hours flushing the system to try and get all the metal shavens out of the system. it cost me just about a grand to do one hydro pump, and from what i was told its about a grand for each pump and each wheel motor, so it could have been 4k to replace both pumps and both wheel motors if they broke because of the metal shavens as well.
The only way it could cross contaminated is if the filter failed, meaning, if the filter paper broke
Old 07-09-2010, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
The only way it could cross contaminated is if the filter failed, meaning, if the filter paper broke
I believe you can get shavings down to your wheel motor on the same side. Cross contamination in theory shouldnt happen becasue like you said the filter is between them, however I can tell you from experience it happens, and I wouldnt risk it. Get it fixed unless you dont believe its possible for metal shaving to make their way through a paper filter under pressure. I wouldnt take the chance.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys. i wont run it again till its fixed. it will be at the dealer tomorrow. is a scag tiger cub 61" with 25 horse kohler for 8000.00 a good deal?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
I believe you can get shavings down to your wheel motor on the same side. Cross contamination in theory shouldnt happen becasue like you said the filter is between them, however I can tell you from experience it happens, and I wouldnt risk it. Get it fixed unless you dont believe its possible for metal shaving to make their way through a paper filter under pressure. I wouldnt take the chance.
Cross contamination is side to side, not pump to wheel motor. And the filters are not pressure filters, they are suction filters. And the only way to cross contaminate on a Toro/Exmark is to break the filtering element unless you have the models with the Vanguard diesel. But, the unit in question should be taken out of service because things will only get worse. And if the dealer claims you have cross contamination, I would call his bluff and want to see proof. By the way, I have been working at a dealership as a mechanic in this field for about 32 years and have never, ever seen cross contamination in the systems in question. But I have seen (and heard of) many scu*bag dealers try and bamboozle innocent (somewhat), landscapers. Believe it or not. As for the deal. I would say it's slightly under powered. If you plan on a bagger, no way.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
Cross contamination is side to side, not pump to wheel motor. And the filters are not pressure filters, they are suction filters.
You're missing the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
I wouldnt take the chance.
That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmlm View Post
thanks guys. i wont run it again till its fixed.
That's what I would do, experience tells me the guys are right.

Last edited by topsites; 07-09-2010 at 07:42 PM.