Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every nanny should be like the garden nanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden.nanny View Post
Not a downer!! As long as I get a cut for being cloned! Why is it always about the money??
Now that is my type of nanny... garden nanny

God, Country, Corps
Encore 32"
Honda HRX
Echo Blower
Stihl BR420
Makita DCS6401
Echo Weedeater
Echo Edger
Echo Power Pruner PPT-260

"Can't lowball me, I know my value"
Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
LOL! Now we just need the helicopter...and possibly a pilot unless I can figure out how to navigate it.

Is that your dog? He is beautiful!
Yes, and thank you.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think there is actually more money in beds, hardscapes, mulch, designs and stuff like that than just mowing, but it has to be marketed to the right people. Higher end homeowners and franchised businesses like chain hotels and restaurants will pay big money to have nice looking landscapes put in and maintained, but it's a lot more work than just mowin and blowin. I don't mind edging beds or mulch work, but I friggin hate pulling weeds!
18' flatbed w/7,000 lb winch
Misc handhelds
Husky chainsaws
Old 07-11-2010, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Big money

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
I think there is actually more money in beds, hardscapes, mulch, designs and stuff like that than just mowing, but it has to be marketed to the right people.
You are right AOD, their is a bigger margin and more money in design and installation. Not to mention when you are done, you would more than likely get the mow (or maintenance) contract. They just spent $10K+ they are not going to just let anyone cut their lawn.

The only issue is, those contracts take a little more work and if you are designing commercial you would need to be a licensed landscape architect.

God, Country, Corps
Encore 32"
Honda HRX
Echo Blower
Stihl BR420
Makita DCS6401
Echo Weedeater
Echo Edger

Old 07-12-2010, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Guys...you guys are terrible...you know if Garden Nanny was a guy...it would be more like...the usual..."you're killing the industry, AND DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE, and there are some of us trying to feed a family" I can see you all are full of **** on a normal basis. Also you would have blamed her for Chernobyl, as well as the Lindbergh baby kidnapping. Also the Lockerbie bombing
Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Garend Nanny does beds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE View Post
Guys...you guys are terrible...you know if Garden Nanny was a guy...it would be more like...the usual..."you're killing the industry, AND DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE, and there are some of us trying to feed a family" I can see you all are full of **** on a normal basis. Also you would have blamed her for Chernobyl, as well as the Lindbergh baby kidnapping. Also the Lockerbie bombing
Garden Nanny says she specializes in doing beds. But I do sense what you are saying is correct. Can we at least get a moment to be, gentle mowers.

God, Country, Corps
Encore 32"
Honda HRX
Echo Blower
Stihl BR420
Makita DCS6401
Echo Weedeater
Echo Edger

Old 07-12-2010, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE View Post
WOW - that's kind of irritating to me. I'm really not sure of what you are getting at but if it makes you feel an better I specialize in perennial gardens, weeding of them, dead-heading, dividing, planting.....so if that's killing the industry just which one would it be? I don't know anyone that does that kind of work in my area. I am not a professional landscaper - I tell my customer's that right up front. I have 25 years of gardening experience, been involved in a local garden club, started out by grooming friends and families gardens. I am a one woman operation and report my taxes as a sole proprietorship. I don't make that much to even put a dent in anybody's livelihood. My customer's sign a liability waiver/contract. So what else do I need to have to be "professional"? A 48" stand up or what?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he's talking about the people that mow grass with their push mowers and charge $20 on a $45 lawn and don't pay insurgence, taxes, etc.

Have you ever though of working with other lawn care companies and having them sub you for some of their garden jobs if all they currently offer is lawn mowing?
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't beat yourself over it

Quote:
WOW - that's kind of irritating to me. I'm really not sure of what you are getting at but if it makes you feel an better I specialize in perennial gardens, weeding of them, dead-heading, dividing, planting.....so if that's killing the industry just which one would it be? I don't know anyone that does that kind of work in my area. I am not a professional landscaper - I tell my customer's that right up front. I have 25 years of gardening experience, been involved in a local garden club, started out by grooming friends and families gardens. I am a one woman operation and report my taxes as a sole proprietorship. I don't make that much to even put a dent in anybody's livelihood. My customer's sign a liability waiver/contract. So what else do I need to have to be "professional"? A 48" stand up or what?
Water under the bridge, remember emails and forums have no tone, it's difficult and hard to read at times. Plus you will find, their will always be someone to rattle a few cages. I understand what Hoolie is trying to convey, and it is valid. I just don't think he read the thread all the way through.

Quote:
I think he's talking about the people that mow grass with their push mowers and charge $20 on a $45 lawn and don't pay insurgence, taxes, etc.
Well put.

God, Country, Corps
Encore 32"
Honda HRX
Echo Blower
Stihl BR420
Makita DCS6401
Echo Weedeater
Echo Edger

Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Garden Nanny, that is a great name and you are going to do well because gardening is becoming a lost art. I spent the day today pulling weeds and it is genuinely satisfying. So you can only imagine how I felt last week when one of my landscapes won a garden contest.

Many people hate doing the work we do, very few people can even do it and people who can do it well are rare artists.

Two bits of advice for you; 1 study design, and charge your customers for design work. Start cheap and work your way up. 2 Do yoga 3. Charge twice what you think you can.

Welcome to the business and this forum, don't mind the restless natives (they are like the bugs in the garden, they buzz and bite, but they are not too bad).

Tags
female , gardening , new member , perennials , weeds