The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2010, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tq23 View Post
It has been about 2 weeks
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd give it three and re-apply if necessary. Glyphs take up to two weeks to work and sometimes three for heavily rooted plants.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-11-2010, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

is what you guys call english ivy the broad leaved hedera helix? usually find it takes two good apps of roundup and then a lot of hard work with a spade and fork. wouldnt reccomend using a tiller, spend too much time unwrapping tines and it can cause spreading of the plants little aerial roots on the stems if any survive the roundup.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

It's been 5 days since I sprayed round-up. Not noticing that it did much to the ivy. I will wait a couple more days and then spray again. I am leaning toward
using shovels, rakes and just good old man power pulling the ivy out. We are going to try a section next week and see how it goes.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach s View Post
It's been 5 days since I sprayed round-up. Not noticing that it did much to the ivy. I will wait a couple more days and then spray again. I am leaning toward
using shovels, rakes and just good old man power pulling the ivy out. We are going to try a section next week and see how it goes.
Ya, you have fun with that.

You need to wait two weeks for any results from the roundup. 5 days isn't enough.

Killing it first is go to loosen the roots for you and make your job easier.

I've asked twice now, but what is the goal. Just ripping it out, or are you landscaping the area. That is something to know in order to give you the correct advice. Basically your outcome is going to dictate how you start.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't needed to try it yet, but my local lesco told me you need a chemical with diquat in it (razor burn).They said that glyphosate (roundup) can't penatrate the waxy leaves to get to the actually plant. You need the diquat to burn thru the waxy part tnen the gly can work.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Coach,
Do you have a heavy-good running line trimmer?? We have taken our commercial line trimmers with 0.95 line, using face shield or safety glasses and went through a bed.
It takes out about 80% to the nub. Rake out the remains......put in a bag and sell to someone for cuttings. Diquat Dibromide(Reward) is pricey so be aware. Razor Burn which is Glyophosate and Diquat combined will speed up the kill rate. Diquat is a quick contact herbicide and the gly is slower. The leaves will be effected usually in 24 hours after spraying with good kill in a week.
We run a front tine tiller after the majority of the ivy is cut down and raked out. Rake again to get the nodes and runner.........root balls too. Make sure you are aware of irrigation pipes, water lines, electrical-utility lines buried nearby--- always....!!!!!!!
After all is cleared and leveled back out, respray any shoots that should come back in a couple of weeks. You will eventually get all the ivy but it will take time.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Think Green for the second time today. You can tell who has experience in landscaping and who doesn't. Line trimmers and a face shield will do the trick in about 1 hour and then another to clean up. I would skip the gly and just seed if you need to. If you take it all the way down to the ground it will not come back.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

All great advice. Thank you all very much!
I am sorry that I forgot to mention that eventually, probably in the fall the owner would like to grow grass in these areas where the ivy was.
I was wondering will the roundup cause any problem trying to grass two months from now?
Again thanks for all the help.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach s View Post
All great advice. Thank you all very much!
I am sorry that I forgot to mention that eventually, probably in the fall the owner would like to grow grass in these areas where the ivy was.
I was wondering will the roundup cause any problem trying to grass two months from now?
Again thanks for all the help.
No, no problem at all.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm doing a similar job and I use brush killer wait a week, brush killer/round up/diquat wait a week, rip it out with skid, spray roundup/surflan (water it in or surflan won't work) then wait a week, topsoil grade seed straw. some say overkill i say no ivy and green grass in a month. i've done many this way. better safe than a rep as a hack who can't kill ivy!