Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-12-2010, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thinking about a used Echo SRM-2400

I found an echo srm-2400 on craigslist for $50. The seller is the original owner and used the trimmer for 1-2 yards every summer for eight years. The trimmer starts but doesn't run good at high rpm (carb. or exhaust port may need to be cleaned).

I've heard both good and bad about these trimmers, but from the threads I can find, the carb. cleaning and the exhaust port cleaning isn't uncommon.

Do you think the trimmer is worth $50 for a summer project? I could also show him the price of a carb and the price of a bump head and ask if he will adjust his price. If this price isn't good, what price do you think would be fair?

CL Ad. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/1831815099.html

over $100 for a carburetor! http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/echo/echo-carburetors.asp
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it could be a 'hit' or 'miss' on this one. I like the challenge so I'd tackle it. But..buying used trimmers isn't always a good deal like say used mowers. They run hard at high rpm and may or may not always have the correct oil mix. This shouldn't have been the case thou if is original owner. I have a old SRM2100 that runs great yet. I heard that newer Echo's not the quality of older ones? just what I heard for what it's worth. Ask to take a compression reading..good bargining point as surely not up to new spec's..and only takes a minute. ( seals could be leaking..but definately be hard starting then) sounds like carb rebuild/cleaning or exhaust screen plugging up as you mentioned. I tend to believe carb thou- Need the service guy's opinion on that. If looks good I'd buy- cost more than 50 just for a throw-away 'weed eater' brand..and the SRM is commercial. Others will recomend 'new' thou- tough call. P.S. Like your Bible verses CC.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowisme View Post
Sounds like it could be a 'hit' or 'miss' on this one. I like the challenge so I'd tackle it. But..buying used trimmers isn't always a good deal like say used mowers. They run hard at high rpm and may or may not always have the correct oil mix. This shouldn't have been the case thou if is original owner. I have a old SRM2100 that runs great yet. I heard that newer Echo's not the quality of older ones? just what I heard for what it's worth. Ask to take a compression reading..good bargining point as surely not up to new spec's..and only takes a minute. ( seals could be leaking..but definately be hard starting then) sounds like carb rebuild/cleaning or exhaust screen plugging up as you mentioned. I tend to believe carb thou- Need the service guy's opinion on that. If looks good I'd buy- cost more than 50 just for a throw-away 'weed eater' brand..and the SRM is commercial. Others will recomend 'new' thou- tough call. P.S. Like your Bible verses CC.
Thanks man, I hope those verses inspire someone out there

I'm thinking about emailing him on a few points....

Bump head - $35
New Carb- $35-$100
8 yrs old
etc.

Who else wants to chime in?
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 07-12-2010, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't know they made a 2400........I would pass. I would only buy the 261 and above series. Those definitley have carb that can be rekitted. And that unit looks bad for low use.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I have an old SRM 2100 that is still going strong. I actually put a blade/barrier bar/harness on it and use it for heavy overgrowth.

If you're in the mood to do some wrenching, I'd say it's worth it.
Stihl FS 100RX Trimmer
Stihl KM 90 with attachments
Kawasaki Edger
Stihl BG 55 Blower
Stihl FS 45 Hedge Trimmers
Beautiful supportive wife
Lots of Motivation
Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You can get the carb much, much (much) cheaper than that. That said, I'd pass. I had at least five SRM-2400's and probably that many edgers with the same engine. Find you a Shindaiwa T230 for a project.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
You can get the carb much, much (much) cheaper than that. That said, I'd pass. I had at least five SRM-2400's and probably that many edgers with the same engine. Find you a Shindaiwa T230 for a project.
Thanks guys...

Where do you find the carb really cheap? Also, why do you want me to pass on the trimmer, did you have bad experiences with the many you had or....I don't mind looking for another but I'm not sure how soon another will come around.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Click on the link to the carbs in your first post. Find the Walbro number and google that number. I am pretty sure they originally came with Zama carbs, but it looks like the Walbro is direct replacement.

Look, maybe you will love it. I kept buying them because that's what the dealers were pushing. I didn't realize there was better stuff out there. It was not until I got away from them that I realized replacing carbs and scraping exhaust ports was not routine maintenance.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Click on the link to the carbs in your first post. Find the Walbro number and google that number. I am pretty sure they originally came with Zama carbs, but it looks like the Walbro is direct replacement.

Look, maybe you will love it. I kept buying them because that's what the dealers were pushing. I didn't realize there was better stuff out there. It was not until I got away from them that I realized replacing carbs and scraping exhaust ports was not routine maintenance.
O.K. I gotcha. If all these trimmers are like this, I might want to stay away from them and look for a different model in similar condition. I'm just looking for a cheap project that will end up being cheap to repair and well working.

Thanks again guys!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have 3 of these exact same trimmers that are about 15 years old, and I can't explain it, but can tell you they are all running strong, and are very dependable - they start right up. Now, the choke pull out knobs are tight to pull, and the clutches in the heads are long gone - meaning they are stuck and do not disengage fully at idle, but so what. This happened when the trimmers weren't that old, and I just never bothered to fix them, as it wasn't a critical issue. I've never quite seen a trimmer like this to go through as much use as they have and still run and perform like they do. I have gone through routine things like gas caps, gas cap seals, primer bulbs, a few spark plugs, and even a little fuel hose that has rotted out in time (over 15 years, that's a long time). For 50 bucks, I'd say go for it. Then again, for me, it would be worth that in parts if I ever needed it.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.

Tags
craigslist , echo , echo trimmer , srm 2400 , used trimmer