Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2010, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

ford 1210 sub compact

the engine oil gets very dark within 2 hours of run time,after an oil change.this has been an issue for as long as I have owned this tractor.I dont think this is normal.if not, where should I start looking for the fix?
Old 07-03-2010, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you have a foreign contaminate entering the oil, (Gas or Diesel), is it new, maybe the rings haven't completely seated yet??
Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC View Post
Sounds like you have a foreign contaminate entering the oil, (Gas or Diesel), is it new, maybe the rings haven't completely seated yet??
this is a 3 cyl diesel. shortly after I bought it,I replaced the engine.the current engine has aprox 800 hours on it.this issue has existed with the current engine since it was installed.the injectors are new.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you or a tractor shop install the engine? I would take it in and have them see what's going on, but with 800 hours on it now, the warranty or such might be invalid...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Perhaps some of the old oil is left behind during an oil change? I know on my diesels (sprinter 2.7L and previous 15L detroit diesel) it takes only a short trip before the oil is already black. It's common for diesel engines, for gas engines it's a different story, it can take a hundred hours or more before the oil goes black, but you'll notice it turn brown first if you check it occasionally.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Perhaps some of the old oil is left behind during an oil change? I know on my diesels (sprinter 2.7L and previous 15L detroit diesel) it takes only a short trip before the oil is already black. It's common for diesel engines, for gas engines it's a different story, it can take a hundred hours or more before the oil goes black, but you'll notice it turn brown first if you check it occasionally.
I went mining for info on this issue.I found a reference on a tractotr site that mentioned this issue might be normal.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I went mining for info on this issue.I found a reference on a tractotr site that mentioned this issue might be normal.
It costs a bit more if you do it yourself (but when you do the oil change yourself you're already saving). Get an extra 1/4 quart and once you've drained the oil, put a bit of fresh oil through the system to help drive out the remaining old oil. It still all won't come out, no matter what you do but again, for diesels the oil turns black quite quickly.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yes this is normal for that style diesel engine. Its not normal for gas or new age diesels. You can have the oil tested to make sure and take samples with different amount of hours on it to see exactly when it needs to be changed.