Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2010, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Issue with pump

Recently we had to have work done at a Church. The employee who arranged this all to be done has since left and I do not know specifically what was done. The invoice from the well company says "Goulds 5hp 55GS Pump End" for 1395.00.

Today the system took a dump and the well company came out and wants to charge 1K because they said they never replaced the "motor". Would that not be the motor for that amount of $$$???

This is a submersible pump
Old 07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

There is a motor and a pump on a submersible. Looks like you just got a pump. A 5 horse motor and pump would be more than that ticket.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Hard to believe isn't it that you could spend that kind of cash for a pump and not get a motor, but larger submersible pumps are sold like that. The real shame is that when the pump was out they should have just bit the bullet and changed the motor too.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree. Without all the details though the pump guy may have told the guy thats not there any more to do both and he balked at the expense.

Happens to me all the time on stuff like that.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm kind of surprised that a 5HP pump wouldn't be serviced, replacing only what was needed.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
I'm kind of surprised that a 5HP pump wouldn't be serviced, replacing only what was needed.
Boots makes a very good point, a 5 horse motor is fairly large in the electric motor/pump world and I would think that someone could replace the bearings and capacitor and you could get much more service from the motor. Motor shops won't work on the 2 and 3 horse motors that I use so I have to replace bearings on them myself, same with capacitors, but a 5 horse I would think any motor shop would fix.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think $1,000 would replace the motor? I may be wrong, but seems cheap. Is it to rebuild and/or service the current motor?

Pull pump, service motor, part/labor, put back in service. $1000 buck? Seems cheap.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARGOS View Post
I don't think $1,000 would replace the motor? I may be wrong, but seems cheap. Is it to rebuild and/or service the current motor?

Pull pump, service motor, part/labor, put back in service. $1000 buck? Seems cheap.
I guess that you couldn't get a pull and a new motor for $1,000. I see in my Dean Bennett catalog http://www.deanbennett.com that a new 4 inch Franklin motor is $995 so I guess that $1,000 would have to be a repair. Boy, big money went down that hole recently.