Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Invoice Q&A

i'm looking to incorporate an invoice billing system for my customers NEXT year and i am trying to figure every thing out now.

i know people say get the money as you do it but this is something i want to do so don't get started with that pleez.

i am 16 years old and run a smaller scale lawn business. by next mowing season i am looking to have 6-8 weekly customers for mowing/maintenance.
i also hope to obtain numerous other accounts for mulching, bed maintenance, landscaping, etc. as of now, i have two weekly mowing accounts and i collect the money as i do it. it works ok but i'm looking to become more professional with an organized collection system.

*** this is my idea:

i will be giving invoices every 2 weeks for mowing customers and when the job is completed for one-time jobs
when i finish the job the second week, i drop the invoice in the mailbox. this allows me to keep moving and not have to worry about waiting for the money.
the invoice states that they have exactly 7 days to get me the money.
i state the day they received its date and the day it can last be received date. this way they have the anticipated period of payment dates.

i also state that if payment is not received within 7 days, they will be charged a $15 late fee.

how should i go about receiving my money???
should i state that payments can be mailed or that they can request a pick up by me.

input, suggestions, comments are appreciated.

thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

You can't put anything in their mailboxes and I think you would rather just pick the money up when you do it because you dont want to waste fuel driving back over there. It also gives you a chance to talk to the customer and make sure everything is ok. What I normaly do is on the last day of the month that I mow their yard I leave an invoice on the door. Then they mail it to me. If you are going to bill someone you would want to do it at the end of the month and only once for the month. Im not sure the legal side of charging late fees. I dont charge late fees if they haven't paid in about 10 days I give them a call
Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

that sounds good thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I think that giving your customers just a week to pay you is unreasonable. My payment terms are net-30. Although I find most customers pay me pretty fast.

I am not sure if this is available in the states or Ohio for that matter, but here in Canada we have a thing called email money transfer and it allows your clients to essentially email you a cheque. You just click on the link in the email and then you select which bank you bank at. You then log into your online banking and enter the security code and bang the money is in your account. Much faster than arranging a time to come by and pickup payment. For the customers that do not use online banking or if you are unable to use this option then just have them leave a cheque in a discrete location that you can pickup on your next visit. Alternatively, one time clients could just mail you a cheque as you already suggested.

Lastly, I would not charge late fee's, especially for such a short payment period. It makes you look like some guy just looking to make a quick buck. Although go ahead, if it is allowed, following a sufficient grace period.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.