Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-03-2010, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenShoesLC View Post
I guess we're really lucky around here. I dump my clippings right into the truck bed and then offload them at the municipal dump. No charge. if you think about it, it's grass, it makes great compost and they should almost be paying you for it!
We can dump for free here too, but I yet to see anyone actually use a bagger down here...
Old 07-03-2010, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I have tried a lot of different avenues to dispose of the clippings & leaves.

A few years ago I was able to take dry leaves in the fall and run them through my shredder mixed with old manure and then sell it back to some customers by the barrel (45 gal) in the spring, then get the job of roto-tilling them in....it was a win-win for all. But last year was real wet and then freeze up came so there was no dry leaves they were just soggy and would not shred.

Clippings I have offered to deliver for free to a few horse owners on the outskirts of town but no takers. Since our compose program closed/failed there is only one option left and that is why I bag and leave on site.

If anyone has a good solution for disposing of grass clippings I am all ears?

I do have a couple of customers that request that we just dump them in the garden area and then they spread them around to walk on between rows and in the fall they get tilled in.....that is an ideal situation but not all customers have a garden.

The best would be to find a buyer for them...lol
Old 07-03-2010, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
yet another person i have found who actually "bags" the grass.

why do you people mess with putting the clipping in bags. that is what the truck bed is for. when i bag grass in the front yard the catcher gets directly dumped into the truck bed. in the backyard i use a 55 gallon drum i cut in half to dump the catcher in and then that when full gets directly dumped into the truck bed.

no bags to mess with, no bags to line the catcher with. plain and simple.
Actually I don't bag. I DO bag but only when absolutely necessary, over grown too much etc. When I do have to bag I leave it at the customers, our city picks up clippings. 90% of the time I use my 36 toro and it has a mulch kit on it, no bagging at all.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess we're really lucky around here. I dump my clippings right into the truck bed and then offload them at the municipal dump. No charge. if you think about it, it's grass, it makes great compost and they should almost be paying you for it!
our city turns the leaves, shrub clipping and leaves into great dirt that is free if you load it yourself and $6.50 if you have them load it.

the larger stuff like tree branches and what not get shreaded and turned into free mulch if you load it $5.00 if you have them load it.

yeah i think they should be paying us for it but thats not the way it works here. residentials dump for a min. of $1 and commercial guys min is $4.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yard-Dawg View Post
Hello Neighbour GreenShoes:
I know what you mean when you refer to spring growth, and I also bag everything I cut.
I have also used the Snapper Hi-Vac and after 3 days of fighting with that stupid bag design, drive engage lever, and recoil rope routing. I took the mower and dropped it off in my Snapper territory Reps yard and told him is was a poor excuse for a commercial mower, although I did like the preformance of the Kawi FJ180 motor. The price was 1/2 of MSRP and I still walked away!

I bought an Ariens Pro-21 with the same Kawi FJ180 on it. That mower will do anything I ask of it and the design is very easy to use. I can empty the bag on the PRO-21 in less time than I could remove the bag on the snapper. The bail lever design is many times better than the stupid Snapper design (I can't even think of a name for that design) and I don't have the recoil rope to untangle every time you pull on it because there is no plastic routing pulley used.

I also have a Ariens LM-21 it is a great mower and is the first choice of the staff but it need the Kawi FJ180 to be a great mower....mine has the Techumseh Vector motor.

Along with the two Ariens mowers I have a few of the older Deeres. The new Deere mowers are crap and when the dealer tried to get me to take one on a demo, I refused to take it out of the show room. I told him I would not use that crap on any lawn nor would I expect my staff to operate junk like that, call me when Deere makes a good mower again!

The snapper mower design seems to be just a bunch of after thoughts on the part of the design engineer that is totally removed from his field! I truely believe that anyone that has used a mower for a few hours could come up with a better design!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake71 View Post
Most everybody has had the exact opposite experience with snapper commercial mowers I have had this year. The reason I went with Snapper was because it was hard to find many really negative experiences. That fact and the price of the Snappers compared to other competitor models was too much for me not go with the snapper commercial push and s50x ZTR.

On the snapper 21" push w/6.0 kawasaki, which has seen very little use since purchased in may has several annoying features in my limited use. Finally, last night the damn drive engage lever that sticks straight up in the air and has been a real pain to operate or when sitting on the trailer being a snag magnet broke. It has always been great cutting and bags full wet or dry but i didn't like some design stuff after getting a few hours usage with it. Its got some really rickety crap little design things i felt would go from annoying to frustrating, especially considering this is commercial line equipment. Along with the drive lever snapping off while mowing late yesterday it was also hard as hell to start yesterday for the first time. It has always started on the first pull until yesterday...go figure?? The routing of the pull start around the bagger is crap in my opinion and problems waiting to happen and i was right. For whatever reason, the recoil tension had noticeably dropped and since it didnt want to start after pulling several times the rope lacked sufficient tension to stay around a little pulley that routes it around the bagger...sorry, i like straight lines with stuff like that.

Anyway, i have had nothing but trouble with of my snapper pro mowers. I'm cutting this rant off and not getting specific with the ztr issues but suffice it to say i really wish i would have purchased another brand. If I had a crew trying to use this crap I can't imagine how much worse it would be...it's just me and a helper and i'm in equipment issue hell since day one. To compound the poor decision i made, my dealer sucks at doing anything more than taking money. Oh well, live and learn...i'm gonna be one smart dude come the day i die!!
Okay I have to correct you guys on this.
I have several snappers including the hi vac with the kawasaki you both had. Lets take a look at these "problems" you talk of,
1. S/p Engage lever, What's not to like about it? It is one of the easiest to use s/p. I don't even have to put the lever all the way down. It just takes some getting used to. From experience I would rather use it than the honda hrc or toro comm. s/p designs. Also when on the trailer, engage the lever and put a piece of wire around it. It won't snag and will not roll.

2. Pull rope routing, It is stupid. So a little modifying is necessary. Take off the recoil rope housing and replace it where the rope goes straight back to the handle instead of going around the bag tube.

3. Bag design? It is one of the easiest bags to take off and empty if you have the slide catcher.

All in all the snapper is a great mower.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
When you have a large number of very small contracts that are all 20 min jobs for a 2 man crew, commercial push mowers are the machines making you your money. For a number of us operations these mowers are running several hours a day. I'd bust through a home cheapo mower in less than a month, and it cuts like **** to boot. Big mowers are great on properties that are suited to them, but to do a small residential, you're better off with a 21.
Excellent points. Around my neck of the woods here, most of the suburban lots are 2 000 to 5000/6 000 sq. feet of turf. A lot of them are heavy landscaped too. I've tried a 32" and 36" mowers on them but they don't work very well. I've also tried a 32" Wright Stander and a 34" Exmark Phazer. They work better than the walk-behinds but lots of customers complain about the ruts these two machines leave and they don't fit into people's backyards. So, from my experience, a good 21" commercial mower seems to be the best bet. It may take you a bit longer but you make that up with reduced overhead costs too.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S man View Post
Okay I have to correct you guys on this.
I have several snappers including the hi vac with the kawasaki you both had. Lets take a look at these "problems" you talk of,
1. S/p Engage lever, What's not to like about it? It is one of the easiest to use s/p. I don't even have to put the lever all the way down. It just takes some getting used to. From experience I would rather use it than the honda hrc or toro comm. s/p designs. Also when on the trailer, engage the lever and put a piece of wire around it. It won't snag and will not roll.

2. Pull rope routing, It is stupid. So a little modifying is necessary. Take off the recoil rope housing and replace it where the rope goes straight back to the handle instead of going around the bag tube.

3. Bag design? It is one of the easiest bags to take off and empty if you have the slide catcher.

All in all the snapper is a great mower.
If I was to buy a Snapper Hi-Vac mower and then had to take is and wire the SP lever so it will not snag on things AND even after that I can only operate it with my right hand AND then fix the recoil so it will not get tangeled in the chute design AND then fight with that stupid bag design that is nothing more than an old side discharge deck converted to a rear bag....I would hang my head in shame for buying it!

Like I have said before, it is designed by an idiot that does not use a mower!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i just recieved my toro comercial 21 today and i can say it is rigid as alll hell and i like the way it is built. i looked a lawboy and the super bagger which is the same and im a snapper guy who used snappe his whole life. the toro is really nice has a gsv190 engine which gives is a litlle bit more torque than the comercial hondas and has the toro deck which from my perspective is second to none when it comes to getting the job done. the rigid setup is fine for a few looks but we will see how rigid it stays after a few weeks!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balreadysaid View Post
i just recieved my toro comercial 21 today and i can say it is rigid as alll hell and i like the way it is built. i looked a lawboy and the super bagger which is the same and im a snapper guy who used snappe his whole life. the toro is really nice has a gsv190 engine which gives is a litlle bit more torque than the comercial hondas and has the toro deck which from my perspective is second to none when it comes to getting the job done. the rigid setup is fine for a few looks but we will see how rigid it stays after a few weeks!
what mower is that, old lanwboy 22272 now in red? hane one, going on 5yrs, still going stromg. when or if need to bag does good, little lighter to some mowers but for the use i put it through, it's been holding up,
Old 07-24-2010, 02:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balreadysaid View Post
That's the mower I'm looking at getting to go with my mulching snappers.

Tags
ariens , commercial-grade mower , equipment , mower advice , push mower