Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Old ZTR problems

I bought a Grasshopper 1210 ZTR off of Craigslist and it worked fine for the first couple of uses. However, the blade belt bound up and had to be replaced, now the replacement seems to be wearing unduly fast. I tried adjusting the tension, but it still seems to get very hot within 10 minutes of running. Also, the hydros seem to be operating erratically. Sometimes the left side can't keep up with the right and then the opposite. I checked with the local dealer on what to put in the hydros and they told me for the old style that is used in this model to just use straight 30W motor oil. I'm using this to mow trails which are not the smoothest. As I said earlier, it really worked well for the first couple of times. When I go out, it's usually for a couple of hours at a time. Although today it didn't even last 1 hour before I started to notice a smell that made me check the blade belt (again) and that's when I noticed that a fine black powder was being created. I stopped mowing and drove it back. I adjusted the belt tensioner about 1/2" and when I went back out, the motor started to bog while cutting. I've done a search on the web for this model and can't find anything useful. It was only made in 1985 & 6. I've never had a ZTR before and don't want to do more harm trying to resolve these issues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now you know why he put it on Craigslist!
Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Probably a spindle locking up. Could be idle pully locking up. Try taking belt off and spinning things. Make sure all is greased, but it is probably too late for that!
Old 07-31-2010, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Actually, with the belt off, all the pulleys move freely. Of course that's not the same as with the load on them. Also, while I had it all apart, I greased all the zerks.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If they are moving freely the only other thing I can think of is alignment.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with clyde on the alignment... if a pulley is not quite straight, it will chew up a belt.

its possible that the previous owners struck something and hit a spindle and got it out of whack, or the idler pulley has a bad bearing and its wobbling

Ijust bought an old walker off of CL....but its a basket case....but I knew that when I bought it. lets call it a late summer project...

Tags
grasshopper , hydro drive , ztr