Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Advice on re-edging a bed please...

I'm no pro and I'm just doing my own lawn...my bed's edging looks terrible and I have always just cut with a hand edger but I don't like the look to be honest. I think I will rent an EDGER but my question is this: how do I avoid getting the newly displaced soil from getting thrown on top of my black mulch? My first thought was to simply use a rake to pull the mulch towards the center of the bed, run the edger, remove the soil and rake down the mulch; what do you think?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If your problem is the lawn, encroaching on the bed, then just go around the edge, with roundup. It does help to actually, clean it up then put down a physical edging.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you are supposed to edge before you mulch. then you dont have to worry about that. if you have the mulch down i would tell you to bite the bullet and hand edge it
Old 08-02-2010, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

'You are right. Rake your mulch back, deepen and define the edge of the bed, replace the mulch. Unless you have hundreds of feet, I think a bed edger would be overkill for your own yard. If you need to re-establish the entire depth of the edge to retain the mulch, then I could see it.
As for general edging, a spade can be used and you'll still have a nice line if you run a string for straight edges, or lay out a peice or garden hose for curves. Intermittent burts of marker paint over the top of the string or hose will give you a dashed outline to follow, if that will help.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoy landscaping View Post
you are supposed to edge before you mulch. then you dont have to worry about that. if you have the mulch down i would tell you to bite the bullet and hand edge it
I did have it completely edged before I mulched but as the seasons progress and as I mow the edge begins to soften and crumble in...causing the nice crisp deep cut line to become shallow and rough appearing.