Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-02-2010, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut level View Post

I look at the job think about it, I do think about how long its gonna take but it may take 2 of us 4 hours to do a trim job of all the beds and trees but I think about the physical labor as well as the end product that I am gonna give em and come up with it from there.

I think a lot of folks get hung up on oh my gosh what hourly rate to calculate!! that they screw themselves hard on their potential profit.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cut level View Post
Dude his business made a gross profit of $312 per hour no matter how you look at it. Stop fighting it. I dont understand why folks even post these "what do ya charge" threads. I am glad his business is doing that and if I am not mistaken he is the LCO in Zona that deals with higher end homes than most of us have. I dont charge by the hour per say.

I look at the job think about it, I do think about how long its gonna take but it may take 2 of us 4 hours to do a trim job of all the beds and trees but I think about the physical labor as well as the end product that I am gonna give em and come up with it from there.

I think a lot of folks get hung up on oh my gosh what hourly rate to calculate!! that they screw themselves hard on their potential profit.

I mean I picked up a property the other day where I was 25% cheaper than the current company was charging for weekly maintenance. I I have 4 properties in this subdivision and. They were fired up to get it done cheaper and I made the other company look like they were rookies after I left their place. They hired me and fired them the same afternoon. I also picked up all the bed maintenance, irrigation maintenance, fert, the whole 9 yards. I think the other company was reaming them at that price. I dont know what there cost to do business is and dont care.

Me by myself it took an hour and 40 minutes the first cut and it is a $65 job. I was by myself and I wanted to make the last company really look like they were shortchanging the clients on the quality of cut. I took a little extra time "getting it right". My help wasnt with me but if he was we are in and out in 40 minutes.
First off gross is not profit. Secondly, the OP stated he was wanting to know average hourly labor rate which is comparable to per man; therefore, adding 4 guys into the mix to just to one up another is out of line in this thread. Lastly, however you want to cut it, the guy charged 70ish per man hour on the tree job.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

And the entire job cost me $136 to do. So a profit of $489/2= $244.50 profit per hour. Sucks doenst it.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
First off gross is not profit. Secondly, the OP stated he was wanting to know average hourly labor rate which is comparable to per man; therefore, adding 4 guys into the mix to just to one up another is out of line in this thread. Lastly, however you want to cut it, the guy charged 70ish per man hour on the tree job.
Yes it is its called profit prior to expenses gross profit.

have a good one I gotta go mow!

His workers may have made bout 15 bucks an hour but his business took in well over 200 in net profit.

Bottom line Do What You Like!