Register free!

Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bowl shape pond or not?

hey guys,
i'm a fert, lawn ,snow guy not a pond guy. Doing a round fountain in a 2.5 ft tall stone circle in the middle of my driveway. i used my excavator to dig the majority and now it has a round bowl shape. I seem to remember someone telling me to shave the walls straight up and down ..not to leave them sloping like a bowl. Can anyone help and explain the pro's/cons? if it matters it's about 25 feet diameter and about 24-30" deep. I just want it to be a round fountain , with some type of fountain head and about 3 to 4 underwater lights and it will have flowers planted around the 3 foot border (stone walls is about 40 feet total diameter)
thanks,
steve
Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this going to be concrete or liner? If concrete, go with the vertical sides and flat bottom. It is easier to pour. 24" to 30" seems a little deep for a fountain (Need to consider the liability factor). 25 foot diameter is going to give you slightly under 500 sq/ft surface area. At only 1 foot water depth you will have 3675 gallons. A lot of water!!
What type of Fountain configuration are you planning.....formal 2 or 3 tier, stone bubblers, free form, etc.? I

As usual, need more info.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HI Tadploe,
it's going to be a rubber liner with underlayment. Thanks for the tip on the depth. Now I also seem to rememeber if it's over 18" deep you need a fence or railing. i could just fill it back in I guess. as far as the fountain goes i originally liked the idea of about 3 verticle "spouts" spaced evenly shooting up about 3 feet out of the water with lights on them. I'm open to any idea's or suggestions as i haven't bought much yet. i have a very small (300 gal) 3 tier fountain up by our door which i also like
steve
Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you mentioned underwater lighting, i will assume that this will be a basin based fountain and not a reservoir with gravel surface.. Liner will work just fine as long as the water level in the basin is kept below grade. When you bring the water level above grade you will devote a lot of time and creative construction in hiding the inevitable folds that will occur. Another thing that should be considered is the construction of a footer foundation for the fountain(s) units.
Not to doubt your word, but 25' diameter is a very large basin. This equates to the equivalent surface area of some Swimming Pools. If this IS correct, then any fountain(s) that are placed should be large enough to ensure proper visual scale.