Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Price: Hedge trimming

I have recently been flooded with people wanting their hedges trimmed, but never know what to charge. All of this work is in the same neighborhood where all the homes look the same.

I would say 15-20 hedges with some of the bushes being 4 feet and while others being 12-15 feet, but needed to be brought down to

Do you charge by hedge, say 6 dollars per bush, or an overall flat fee. Each job is probably about 1.5 hours working alone and all the debris will obviously be picked up. I charge 50-60 dollars, but would like to see what others would charge. I do not want to overcharge anyone, but do not want to undercharge. Some of these people have not ever trimmed their hedges in the 4-5 years since they have been built, so they do not look as neat as the ones pictured which means more work

Here is an example of a house on the block and all the landscapes are pretty similar.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

for 1.5 hours 50-60$ is not enough. When I trim we go 2 guys and i aim for 100-125$ an hour because not everybody can do a good job on trimming. Since your alone go for 50-60$ an hour. Good luck
Old 08-05-2010, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The last house I did a few weeks ago took me over 2 hours because the person had a jungle in front of her house. This house was next door to the pic I took with the same amount of bushes.

The pic of the house is my house and I can do it in about an hour, but I keep on top of things.

I was afraid I was shorting myself money
Old 08-06-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

For a 1.5-2hr bush job, it's easily worth 80-90$. AT 90$ that 60/hr labor rate. Don't forget the more overgrown they are the more mess they make and the longer it takes.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

itrim hedges with an hourly rate and add a dump fee in the end
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 08-07-2010, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Price them per shrub. My prices range from $3/per shrub and up. Knee height...$3-$5, knee to waist...$6-$8, waist to shoulders...$9-$12, above shoulder height...more than $12. If it's a row of shrubs grown into a hedge...count how many individual shrubs make up the hedge and price it individually and add the total up for one whole price. Just easier than guess how long it's going to take in trimming "x" amount of shrubs, etc. This should get you a much ballpark estimate. Then add a removal/hauling/dump fee at the end of your total. But keep in mind...some shrubs are easier to trim than other and there are variables to consider. But this should get you started on estimating better.
2 -Toro Z450 w/ Bagger + Striping Kit
32" Lesco w/ Sulky & Bagger
36" Lesco w/ Sulky
3 - Husqvarna Push Mowers
Lawnboy Push Mower
Husqvarna 125E Combi w/ Hedge Trimmer
2 - Husqvarna 223L Trimmers
3 - Poulan Pro BP400 BP Blowers
Husqvarna 125BT BP Blower
Tanaka TPE-260PF Stick Edger
Cyclone Rake
3 - Stihl Hedge Trimmers
Western UniMount Plow
Buyers Salt Spreader
www.facebook.com/yardatwork
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i do my by the hourly rate for 1st time and once i have done them flat rate them all my account are now flat rate i know how long take me
Old 08-07-2010, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is now obvious that I am under pricing. I did a house on Friday afternoon in the GA heat and a little over 2 hours. I had to take many breaks because I went through 6 water bottles and the customer wanted to tweak the irrigation system.

What kind of rates are you charging for haul fees? I am able to dump all my clippings in the woods nearby. I did about 8 wheelbarrow loads yesterday, and I would imagine that it would fill up the same amount of "contractor" bags from my previous experience.

Thanks for everyones input so far. I am going to price my next yard in the 100dollar range
Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i don't understand why anyone charges per shrub. palms and hardwoods, yes. At that there is no flat rate either. The more work, the more it costs. Figure out how long it will take you to do the job, multiply that by your hourly rate and add dumping if you have to do that.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am with diamond - does the customer care what you are charging per.....prob not...just figure out what you want you think you can get in terms of profit and go with that number....all the consumer wants to know is what is it cost them bottom line -
On overgrown shrubs I understand the removal of debris - but if reasonably maintained why not just return clipping under the bed with blower?
Posted via Mobile Device