Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good quality tools are important and you should not fret over spending good money for something that will last and give you less headaches.

I have used the Toro Commercial and it was just a solid push mower and gave a good cut. The one I was using had 3 years on constant use on it and was still as smooth as butter. Nothing special, but will get the job done.

I would give the nod to the Honda Commercial Mower since it sounds like it will be your main mower. I preferred this one over the Toro because I felt this is was stronger and the cut was nicer if that makes any sense.

I only demoed the Snapper, but again found nothing wrong with it.

I do not bag unless somebody really really wants it bagged after I give them the speech how the clippings act as natural fert and will cut down on watering.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Before you guys hammer on the Prolines, throw out the 'do it all" blade and put on a blade specific to how you mow. Toro has a bagging blade that fits it and it is nearly unstoppable at bagging grass with that on there. Empty the bag sooner when its wet...you really shouldnt be mowing it wet anyway.

I use a "wavey" MTD-style blade on those when i want to pure mulch.

No blade does everything great, so use the right blade, it makes all the difference. The prolines 3 speed is strong, and the KAI motors power through everything at 3/4 thrpttle, leaving you 1/4 more for "just in case"
Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manorscape View Post
Before you guys hammer on the Prolines, throw out the 'do it all" blade and put on a blade specific to how you mow. Toro has a bagging blade that fits it and it is nearly unstoppable at bagging grass with that on there. Empty the bag sooner when its wet...you really shouldnt be mowing it wet anyway.

No blade does everything great, so use the right blade, it makes all the difference. The prolines 3 speed is strong, and the KAI motors power through everything at 3/4 thrpttle, leaving you 1/4 more for "just in case"
This is true.

As far as engine speed, I run mine at full throttle because its better for the grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2010, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
This is true.

As far as engine speed, I run mine at full throttle because its better for the grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

You are correct. I have my motor pretty maxed out on RPM's so I think my 3/4 is almost mmax delivered RPM's, and full throttle is just a few hundred RPM below the motors limit. I should have specified that lol

I tend to set my personal gear up that way, but not the ones I let my crews use, they'd be at redline all day.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have cranked my fast idle up on my Snapper to give the best possible cut and I run it wide open all the time. It may shorten the life slightly, but I am more concerned up and better cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2010, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manorscape View Post

This goes with any new mower.

I mowed one lawn with my Snapper Ninja Mulching Blade before I threw it away and put a Gator on it.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Nothing wrong with my Snapper Commercial mower...I love the infinite variable speeds and the easy maintenance. It also cuts very well and no other mower will bag like a hi-vac.
Posted via Mobile Device
Been running a Snapper Commercial for 5 years,great mower, will be getting another one soon.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate my Snapper Commercial 21" with a passion. Won't start up a hill with just the self-propel, you have to give it a push or the wheels just spin. The front axle is weak in my opinion and bends easily yet the mower is heavier than h#ll. Also, in 3 years, I've been through 6 gas caps. The plastic delaminates and the tops pop off. But the worst part is the flappy gut stabbing propel engagement handle. I much prefer my "non-commercial" Duraforce Lawnboys. I went look at a Toro commercial but my dealer doesn't stock them because he doesn't sell many. Other than the Snapper, I'm outta luck on commercial 21"s
7'x18' Custom Open Trailer
7'x12' Big Tex Open Trailer
8.5'x24' King American Enclosed
2006 Grasshopper 928D 61" (4,700 hrs!! )
2011 Grasshopper 930D
2005 JD 737 60"
Snapper 21" Hi-Vac Commercial
Lawnboy 21" Duraforce x2
Shindaiwa: T2500 | T231 | T242 | LE261 | EB630RT | 488 | DH2510 | RS76S
Tanaka: TBC-255PF | TBC-280PF | TPH-270PF
Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
Old 08-13-2010, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the 2-cycle Lawn Boys. The deck could be built better (Flimsy compared to the Aluminum toro deck) but it is the Most powerfull 21'' I have ever used. And I've used a lot.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i bought the toro commercial 21 and it is nice. it is the non propulsion model and i ordered it thatway special so i dont have to worry about tranny issues and levers that stick out, just a plain jane comercial mower and i gotta say it actually mulches deep gras rreally good, better than my super pro recycler 2 toro. i bag with it mostly and it isnt bad at that it just has a smaller bag than my snapper. i ran a snapper with highlift blade with wings and it literally sucks up pine combs and sticks and pretty much anything tilll the bag is packed!!!!!!!! the bag will weigh like 40 lbs most of the time even if it is all dry stuff. that mower is also non propulsion. i sugest a snapper comercial non propulsion mine lasted me 5 yrs and it still runs just not like new and it has seen much use. the toro works great it just isnt like a snapper and i am having trouble adjusting to it. the snapper bags are nice with the swinging rear door to empty they dont have a perfect cut like a honda though and i am told by all my competition in town im a fool to not own a honda.