Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Really nice work pitrack
Old 08-09-2010, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I strongly disagree with the above stick suggestions.
DEFinitely go with a walk behind edger. I have wrote rather extensive posts on this very subject with many reasons why the walk behind is the best choice for a first and initial edger. Don't even consider the trimmers, string trimmer edging attachments because they won't cut an inch off the edge an inch deep.
Now, as far as walk behind edgers go, dollar for dollar, the McClane is very hard to beat. They are very easy to use, and last several years. They are just an excellent edger for the money.
While stick edgers are great for quick off the trailer edgings, they are not good for doing heavy edging like thick initial edgings, and they are not good for anything over 5 minutes. A walk behind is much more practical for these. It has the weight, and ease of operation. This is why I believe a walk behind is the #1 choice for having any ONE edger.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Really nice work pitrack
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I strongly disagree with the above stick suggestions.
DEFinitely go with a walk behind edger. I have wrote rather extensive posts on this very subject with many reasons why the walk behind is the best choice for a first and initial edger. Don't even consider the trimmers, string trimmer edging attachments because they won't cut an inch off the edge an inch deep.
Now, as far as walk behind edgers go, dollar for dollar, the McClane is very hard to beat. They are very easy to use, and last several years. They are just an excellent edger for the money.
While stick edgers are great for quick off the trailer edgings, they are not good for doing heavy edging like thick initial edgings, and they are not good for anything over 5 minutes. A walk behind is much more practical for these. It has the weight, and ease of operation. This is why I believe a walk behind is the #1 choice for having any ONE edger.
I disagree with your post. They won't cut an inch off the edge an inch deep? Are you talking about an inch into the yard or if it's over grown an inch over the concrete?

If it's an inch over the concrete just get a shovel and shove it under the dirt until you hit the edge of the walk then go down it with the stick edger. Has worked for me very well, it cuts it off in strips. I personally would get sick of hauling a big ass walk behind edger around and killing your back unloading it from the back of a truck. Not ALL stick edgers will work well, but get a bigger more powerful one and I think that is his best bet. It's all in preference though, I would get sick of hauling the walk behind around especially if it's edges that don't need it real bad just need cleaned up.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The back of a truck? OUCH! Nothing heavier than a shovel does in the back of a truck. lol But yeah,...I was commenting on the string trimmer for not cutting anything deep (OR wide, for that matter) and a stick edger cutting over an inch of vertical depth (practically). And with a wheeled edger, they are just much easier to use for cutting heavy edges. Instead of holding and pushing, you can walk down with essentially a finger and thumb on each handle. Also, the point made about the more than 5 minutes is a very valid one. Any complexes with long runs, we use wheeled edgers on. Oh,...the stick edgers have their place - they are quick and handy out of the trailer, and in many cases, even faster to use, but like I said, for any ONE edger, a wheeled edger is always the best first purchase. It does all of the above.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
The back of a truck? OUCH! Nothing heavier than a shovel does in the back of a truck. lol But yeah,...I was commenting on the string trimmer for not cutting anything deep (OR wide, for that matter) and a stick edger cutting over an inch of vertical depth (practically). And with a wheeled edger, they are just much easier to use for cutting heavy edges. Instead of holding and pushing, you can walk down with essentially a finger and thumb on each handle. Also, the point made about the more than 5 minutes is a very valid one. Any complexes with long runs, we use wheeled edgers on. Oh,...the stick edgers have their place - they are quick and handy out of the trailer, and in many cases, even faster to use, but like I said, for any ONE edger, a wheeled edger is always the best first purchase. It does all of the above.
I agree with you man. Wheeled edgers do all of the above, just take longer than a stick edger on a weekly edging. It comes down to what the OP wants to do. If he wants to edge his accounts he has and keep edging them weekly, stick is the way to go imo. If he wants to edge other yards that never get edged, a wheeled edger would probably suit his needs.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=TAC;3658866]We like the Sthil FC-110, we also have a FC-95. The 95 is ok but the 110 has more power for just a few more $.QUOTE]

What he said.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Runner, a WB edger is the way to go. I own a stick edger and WB edger. While I don't carry the WB edger on my truck everyday like my stick edger, it is nice knowing I have it for really overgrown sidewalks. I also have a couple corner lots that have a huge amount of sidewalk frontage that I use the WB on. While it is all personal opinion, I believe a WB leaves a cleaner edge.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Both are good but the walk behind is a must have for first time edging.
One you can do without the other you cant.
So if it's your only edger it must be a walk-behind. I learned that from experience long before I read this post...

97' ISUZU NPR (16' bed)
John Deere F687 60" 7iron w/MCS
John Deere GS30 36"
John Deere GS45 48"
John Deere JS45 21"
Stihl FS80 Pro Trimmer
Stihl FS46 Trimmer
Stihl BG55 Blower
BRD-280 Bed Redefiner
Echo PE-280 Stick Edger
Echo SHC 212 Hedge Trimmer
Bluebird 24" De-Thatcher