Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, so lets get this straightened out... Your response to my post was not specific just that I am basically a idiot. I responded with some more specific information, and now it seems that you only want to nit pick over one word. Should I have use decomposed, no I could have worded it better but this forum isn't full of people getting there undergrads in plant biology, its full of home owners and grass cutters. I realize my response could have been better worded, I should have just used adventitious roots in the first place. For the most part it seems that the wording is now the only issue correct? Does my response seem plausible and do you endorse the plan of action? If not why, I know its hard to tell without a firsthand examination but lets toss some ideas around. What was your first BS in? genuinely curious.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This brings up the subtle meaning of the word Adventitious root fibers. These are the roots that occur from buds and not from a woody stem,etc. I don't think these roots from the picture are formed as a part of Apomixis as in stem cuttings such as the means of rooting cacti and other such processes. If anything, it can be similar to stress rooting.
I will not bring up Pneumataphoric root formation...!!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRM31 View Post
I should have just used adventitious roots in the first place.
Gee ... ya think ... and I was nit picking over an entire sentence. Wording is everything .... and what you initially stated was simply wrong. Don't takie offense ... just look up the information if you aren't sure about it next time and you will avoid getting corrected by someone who might know better.

Quote:
Does my response seem plausible and do you endorse the plan of action? If not why, I know its hard to tell without a firsthand examination but lets toss some ideas around. What was your first BS in? genuinely curious.
Personally I think when/if the OP gets the roots out of there, it could kill the tree. If is doesn't kill it, it will most likely look like shiit. My first degree is in soil science and hydrology.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
These are the roots that occur from buds and not from a woody stem,etc.
These roots can occur from undifferentiated cells and/or the differentiation of derivative cells.

With respect to the rest .... what publication did you pull those big words out of and what does it have anything to do with this discussion?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

To thinkgreen this is what I was talking about... http://www.mortonarb.org/deeptreeroo...ms.html#advent scroll down a bit and there will be some pictures.

To Kiril I agree wording is everything and I should have read through my first posting a little closer to avoid confusion.
Anyway I agree that it could kill the tree, but a tree with a canopy that size is being sustained by more than that small mass that was behind the wall stones. Pruning could be done to the canopy to lessen the stress of the root pruining and he could at least work through some of the smaller roots to see what lies beneath all of the soil. Leaving all of the larger roots for a second opinion.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
To thinkgreen this is what I was talking about... http://www.mortonarb.org/deeptreeroo...ms.html#advent scroll down a bit and there will be some pictures.

To Kiril I agree wording is everything and I should have read through my first posting a little closer to avoid confusion.
Anyway I agree that it could kill the tree, but a tree with a canopy that size is being sustained by more than that small mass that was behind the wall stones. Pruning could be done to the canopy to lessen the stress of the root pruining and he could at least work through some of the smaller roots to see what lies beneath all of the soil. Leaving all of the larger roots for a second opinion.
I still want to see what it looks like b4 it's killed...
Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is great entertainment, the classic lawnsite argument
Old 08-15-2010, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kiril,
I did not copy and paste anything. I have a lot of older publications that was a part of my tree surgery study guides. I do not employ tree surgery methods anymore as it is a total dieing trade here. These publications are older..........from the 80's as my State University is a bit outdated on this subject. The state doesn't offer any further sources for tree formation and root structuring as it is learned from the nursery trade and business. Tree Injection is no longer in my methods of IPM! I meant no harm to the integrity of this thread. I thought these other words..........for the sake of viewing would spark some interest into the definitions and googleing.
Didn't mean to get your heckles up. !!

I agree with you on the one fact that if this person spends the efforts of removing all these root fibers and hacks on that root mess............the tree will die. Point Blank!
I have seen this mistake over and over and over again. Without the spinning wheels of proper identification...........names of roots and techniques, this tree needs to be brought back to level using soils around that exposed root ball and sloped downward. If by the grace of nature, the roots will have a medium to expand outward as they should have in the beginning but couldn't. This may be a simple means of explanations but it should be enough to survive that tree.

I am not going to knock you expertise at all..........that is wonderful you have such to gain over me. I will not argue the point!!!! Common sense is my point here of correcting a problem. Don't leave that root mass exposed any longer or just cut the tree down and start all over again and quit putting little rock fortresses around ornamental trees that are supposed to be planted by themselves with enough bed to allow for growth expansion and no competition from other sources such as turf.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
That is NOT a nitro deficient tree. Not that I know what it is, but I have seen similar looking leaves on Potassium deficient trees during stress. A soil test and or tissue test could provide more info.
Maple tree with yellowing leaf venation, is chlorosis from Manganese deficiency, and that raised bed with landscape stones ringed w/ retaining blocks only adds to trunk rot, and root binding.

How is the maple tree doing now??