Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2010, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Jose-

I am rarely positive to anyone on this site (hehehe) but I really commend you on your choice and intelligent thought process as you start up a business. It's refreshing to see someone who has saved money, WORKED for another lawn care company and has EXPERIENCE, and has the smarts to want to do it RIGHT. I wish you the best of luck! It seems you have a really good head on your shoulders- I feel your current employer might really support your choice (though they are probably going to hate to eventually lose an excellent employee, which I assume you are) and this can be a good thing, as you can "start-up" on the side while keeping a steady paycheck. Who knows?

Anyway, Best of luck.

I commend you as well, THIS IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE. You should have an idea of the industry and you should have savings as well as enough common sense to think about insurance,licences,permits etc. I hate nothing more than the people that work their 50-80k a year white collar job and decide they want to cut lawns and plow snow for extra cash (no licence, no tax,no insurance,no comm plates). Like it has been said 100's of times, THEY ARE THE REASON OUR SERVICE PRICES CONTINUES TO DECREASE.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First off don't quit your job until things start going good. Instead use it as a back up.

Get Licensed. Get listed with google. Get listed with online yellow pages and any other way you can put your name out there online. I started three months ago and have 16 customers. From free advertising and the good sales skills I have.

Now I get at least three estimates a week. And I have a 30% acceptance rate. Now all of the above things and word of mouth is starting to take over.

I quite my job making 10.00 an hour at a car dealer as a mechanic about a month after a started getting customers because I make just as much cutting grass only 2 weeks out of the month after expenses and payroll (Getting buisier every week) than I did working 40 hours at the dealer.

Also get buisness cards. This is a must in my opinion.

About to buy a box truck in the next two years and will be running a crew out of it.

I'm 22 and wish I actually started building the buisness years before now. I have cut grass for years. I had 5 lawns that I walked everywhere to cut when I was 16. You have a lot more experience and can do a lot more with it if you know how.

Start now. Not later. With the small things at least!

Last edited by Georgia Lawn Works LLC; 08-13-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Just want to thank you all for your kind words.....As far as starting my business the proper way with license, taxes and insurance,,,,,, I cant imagine doing it any other way,,, My father always told me "there are only 2 ways of doing things, the wrong way and the right way.... I prefer to do it the right way..........
Old 08-15-2010, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

The wrong way might get ya there faster, but you will not be there for long. I agree, you cannot go wrong doing it the right way. Goodluck!!!!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Dont forget we are in MA, not the south. No one, and I mean no one uses box trucks up here for landscaping/lawn mowing. Those SLT's do not exist up here. I have never ever seen someone mowing out of a box truck. And there is no license needed for a landscaping business. You go to the town and tell them your in business, fill out a paper to register your business but thats it. You file for your tax id, then get insurance and a business checking account. Most customers that want or need lawn maintenance also need property maintenance. They would rater have one company to do everthing vs. one guy that mows, one guy to do the clean up, one guy to mulch, etc. If you are not equipped to handle those services, here in MA you will be missing out on the best money making services. How are you going to mulch with a box truck, how are you going to do new england fall clean ups with a box truck. Cleanups are one of the biggest money making services next to edging and mulching. In my opinion, you cannot have a successful landscaping business in MA without a dump truck. Also, your customers may ask for snow removal services, are you going to put a plow on the 2wd box truck, I dont think so. They will call another company, most likely another landscaping company to plow their driveway. Then that company can easily steal your customer. The last company I worked for got quite a few landscaping accounts from plow customers. And these are people who already had another landscaping company, but they diddnt offer snow removal.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Fivestarlandscapes...
You are absolutely correct, I have since decided that would not be the way to go. You are correct about the clean ups,mulching etc., with a box truck I would be limited to the services that I can offer. That idea has been scratched. I am currently looking for a regular pickup truck. Ideally i would like a Ford 250 and up but I on the hunt . Gonna see a few this week.
You are also correct in saying that if another landscaping company is plowing the home owners driveway, they have an invitation to steal that customer from me.
Also thank you for the info as far as the license,,, being that I do work a full time job, by time I get out all the government establishments are closed.Could you be so kind as to tell me where on Mass.gov I could find more info, I searched and came up with nothing.
Again thank you all for your help..