Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2010, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Grinding 72" Stump

Hello all,

We don't usually offer stump grinding services, but I had a customer whose planning to do a significant amount of work with us this year request we remove one from her property line.

Problem is, it's enormous. About 65-72" in diameter and it was not cut low to the ground. It's still about 7 ft. tall.

I have no concept of how long this might take and wondered if you all could help me estimate.

Kindly,

Jeff
Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

What equipment are you gonna have available to you to take care of the stump and how big of grinder are you gonna have. Also what kind of tree was standing there... that will determine how hard the wood is and how long it will take to grind. you'll have to grind on the stump for a little bit then stop and cleanup and then do it all over again till you got it all of the stump ground out.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a small stump in my front yard, 18" to 20" diameter from a maple tree that I cut down late last year. HOA finally got on my @$$ about it so I went to Home Depot and rented a stump grinder, the only one they have. I think it was a 13 Hp with a single blade. I never used one before and had customers inquire about it a few times so I thought I would get a lesson on it and get rid of the stump at the same time.

I also left the stump up about 6 inches when I cut it down... So, I started on it and it was going good, but as the blade starts to get dull you notice it takes longer. Now they claim they put a new blade on before every rental, which they seem to do, but.... it's not easy work. And you have to realize like I did that the diameter of the trunk increases as you grind it down. Makes sense when you think about it, but I didn't think about that until I was half way into it. So that, enormous stump is going to grow as you grind it, if you know what I mean.

Well long story short, I ground it down below grade a few inches and then I had to grind down a few big roots that were sticking up, and the whole process took me about 11/2 hours. So I would think that that monster would take quite awhile unless you had a much larger machine than what I had.

Me thinks sub it out and charge 10% on top and save the hassle. You won't find me grinding any stumps in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

Dave...
Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What is going to replace this stump? Turf, hardscape etc?

Sounds like you are going to need more than one tool to do this job. If the stump is 7 ft tall you are going to have to flush cut it 1st if its going to be ground. That size stump is going to require a 90+ cc saw ie Stihl ms 660 or Husky 395 or larger. I don't think I would want to tackle that job with a grinder any less than 50 hp. You are going to have to stop and clear out the chips and there will be a lot.

If you have a large back hoe, you could dig it out and then cut it up but that may take longer than grinding, you will still need a big saw and have a lot of back fill/turf repair to do.

Best bet may be to sub this one out to a tree guy who already has the big equipment to handle the job.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

excavator.......
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

We've got a 34 hp Vermeer Diesel Grinder. Can't access the yard with an excavator.

Looks like the tree used to be an ash, but I'm not 100% on the ID.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, get a big saw and prepare to move a lot of stump shavings.

Tags
large stump , removal , stump grinding