Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
Pulling weeds and tilling are def plausible options as I have done this in the past for many people. I have also thrown some veggies into the soil and potted plants for people. It is pretty good money.

Fert, Pest, Fungi, Water are all things to stay away from IMO. That is what I was referring to in my previous post.
Oh okay Will, thanks for your advice. And thanks to everyone else who commented.

I spoke to the woman yesterday and told her that I'd have to pass on the upkeep of the garden, but I would be willing to give her advice. She was happy with that. She started asking about landscaping, so I'm glad I passed on the garden!
Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes we do that. In the spring we clean up the garden, rototill, ammend when needed, and set up the garden for the customer. Then we will do a cleanup in the fall.

All the customers are different. Sometimes we plant the veggies after the spring prep and never come back. Sometimes we just do the prep. Sometimes we do it all and do monthly visits to help on upkeep and they take care of the rest.
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwater View Post
I was out cutting some grass at an account that I have and the neighbor asked if I could take a look at her vegi garden when I'm finished. Right off I knew the owner of the property I was at must have told her how I helped her with hers.

When I looked at her garden I noticed what could be nutrient deficiencies. We talked for a while and I told her what she could do. At the end of the conversation she asked if I offer a service to take care of vegi gardens. I've thought about this, but figured that most people take care of their own vegi's.
Have any of you ever been asked or offer this type of service? I thought about charging her for advice and let her do the work.
We start up veg gardens and regularly take care of a few just like we would with landscape. We get phone calls all the time about veg issues. We also open and close summer homes and winterize outdoor spas, shut down water features and blow out irragation and over winter water plantings and fish. I never charge a regular customer for phone call tech support.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charging for advice to the average h/o is not ethical in my book. It rubs people the wrong way and their are plenty of other guys who will talk for free. You could risk losing a customer over this.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Charging for advice to the average h/o is not ethical in my book. It rubs people the wrong way and their are plenty of other guys who will talk for free. You could risk losing a customer over this.
What!? It is called consulting, I do it ALL the time. It is my intellectual property and I do not share that for free.

Are you telling me that if a customer comes out to ask you something while you are on their time you stop the clock to talk?
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

rut-row another lawnsite argument brewing
Old 08-15-2010, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

I offered support for a fee before she became a customer. Now that I have her as a customer I'm not going to charge her. I couldn't do that for a short conversation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapro View Post
What!? It is called consulting, I do it ALL the time. It is my intellectual property and I do not share that for free.

Are you telling me that if a customer comes out to ask you something while you are on their time you stop the clock to talk?
A little bit of confusion here. I am talking about a brief 'phone' conversation pointing her to some websites and basic knowledge.

Under certain situations is is very appropriate to charge a fee, and I do it all the time. However, not for a 3-5 minute phone talk.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

ring.... hello.... Hi That paver patio looks beautiful you guys did such a nice job thank you. I am calling about our tomatoes they are cracking as they ripen what could be wrong.....

Well the most common cause for that is irregular watering mulch around the plants and keep evenly watered...

Thank you so much your wonderful thank you.....

that will be 17 dollars please.....
Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Obviously it wouldn't make financial sense for her to do pay you lots of money to maintain her vegetable garden but the woman said money wasn't a problem. This sounds like an ideal customer. Why not tell her your hourly rate and give her an idea of how many hours a week you'll need to be there and let her decide if it makes sense for her financially.

If she is interested in learning about gardening you could invite her to help you. Then she'll be capable of doing some of it herself and you could maybe drop to less frequent visits later if she's going to pitch in. You could also install an irrigation system at some point to do the bulk of the watering. Then visit a couple times a week and do some additional hand watering and tending to things.