Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2010, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I have my degrees in Psychology and many therapists do not consider MPD or DID a real disease. I believe it was discovered around 95. Since then, the media has really grabbed it by the horns, and we started seeing many more cases after the book Cybil. Also, it is commonly used in a court of law to try and escape punishment. Furthermore, it is difficult to diagnose and hard to treat
The majority of diagnosis come from a handful of therapists. It is also believed that a majority of us have multiple personalties, but on a smaller level.

The believers say it comes from a trauma (molestation, abuse, etc) where the person cannot take it anymore and uses an alter ego as a coping mechanism.

Their are a few good therapy sessions on youtube that show it. It is fascinating to watch
so do think its just a chemical imbalance, or something way more that science will never understand? I am curious since you studied this.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is tough to say since it is near impossible to diagnose. Many times those affected do not seek treatment. Even if they do seek treatment, they often have mood disorders and major drug/alcohol problems. They do not think the MPD is genetic either.

I am on the fence where I stand with it. I see it as a coping mechanism to help with sexual abuse/trauma. They create this other person so they (the actual person) does not have to deal with it. A majority of these people have been abused for long periods as well.

I think they see how effective this method is and create other persona for different events in their life. It also attracts attention which people that are abused seem to like. This is just a theory.

I know when interviewing these people, you have to talk to whatever personality they are demonstrating at the moment. Typically, they have at least 4-5. When they switch personalties, which can happen at any moment, they have a ritual where they look possessed. They do this thing with their eyes that is just freaky.

It is also important to note that no one has a truly single or unified personality.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
It is tough to say since it is near impossible to diagnose. Many times those affected do not seek treatment. Even if they do seek treatment, they often have mood disorders and major drug/alcohol problems. They do not think the MPD is genetic either.

I am on the fence where I stand with it. I see it as a coping mechanism to help with sexual abuse/trauma. They create this other person so they (the actual person) does not have to deal with it. A majority of these people have been abused for long periods as well.

I think they see how effective this method is and create other persona for different events in their life. It also attracts attention which people that are abused seem to like. This is just a theory.

I know when interviewing these people, you have to talk to whatever personality they are demonstrating at the moment. Typically, they have at least 4-5. When they switch personalties, which can happen at any moment, they have a ritual where they look possessed. They do this thing with their eyes that is just freaky.

It is also important to note that no one has a truly single or unified personality.
why do you say no one has one personality?
Old 08-14-2010, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lets say a person has their own LCO. They have a personality for running that business, managing workers, and making money. Which is quite different from the person that comes home and plays with his children. Which is quite different from the person who spends time with his wife after the kids are asleep. Which is quite different from the person who hangs out with his friends on the weekends, who is different from the person at church on Sundays. This is all the same person. This is just one example and I am sure you can apply this 'setup" to your life.

Also, our personality changes over time.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

would you say the over all defining traits of there character will still be the same? Like I can't change my interests. In your example I would still like and dislike the same things no matter where I am. A person with multiple personality disorder is like several different people right? There interests are different. I have have never meet one. If they were making it up, it would seem that they could not keep track of who they are. If I have 5 personalities I want to portray, I would have to remember each one in detail. That seems impossible.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think there's definitely an element of severe emotional trauma splitting the mind and there's definitely an element of demon possession as well. I know the power that demons can have over a person and I am also aware of the power (and frailty) of the human mind. The mind is a beautiful, powerful, and tender thing. It is what separates us from the animals.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most of these cases the core personality is patheticly weak, an ultra wimp if you will. Call it what you want. They develop an alter personality to be what the core is missing.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Most of these cases the core personality is patheticly weak, an ultra wimp if you will. Call it what you want. They develop an alter personality to be what the core is missing.
if your talking about demons, then drugs, alcohol, and abuse and weaken the mind and create an opportunity for demons. I am sure PC can tell of some hypnoses that have went horribly wrong. Under hypnoses the mind is vulnerable to any attack.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
if your talking about demons, then drugs, alcohol, and abuse and weaken the mind and create an opportunity for demons. I am sure PC can tell of some hypnoses that have went horribly wrong. Under hypnoses the mind is vulnerable to any attack.
If I'm not mistaken the demons are one of several possible results of going over to the other side,
and although I will agree that drugs and alcohol certainly could contribute towards said effect,
I also believe it is completely possible for a perfectly normal person to catch a trip over the edge.

Which is where, in my opinion, rest all of these disorders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Make no mistake, folks like these are not necessarily afraid of you or anyone else,
now I'll give that there could exist possible inconsistencies between certain character traits
but I would be very careful on reaching the assumption of a weakness.

Tell you something else...
I know the way.

Last edited by topsites; 08-18-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I totally agree a perfectly normal person can be possessed, but when you are under the influence of anything you are particularly vulnerable. I don't know if I would call it being domed to hell, if that is what you are referring to. Jesus can still save you like he did in the gospels. I am glad that I don't have to worry about this. I think this is the most scariest thing a person can face on this earth.