Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2010, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Leaves, you rake them we take them guys???

Ok this is for the guys that pick up extra cash by advertising to the folks that want to rake their leaves themselves. By this I mean, they rake them to the curbs and you go by and pick them up. Anybody do this?? I did a couple last year through advertisement and am willing to expand it this year.

But I would like to know what you all charge. Do you a have a base price then charge hourly for the time you are there sucking them up? Or do you charge just one price say like 75 dollars?? I have a leaf loader that I will be using so that is not a problem. Just want to get a general idea of what everyone else is doing with this.

Thanks in adavance,

JP
Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Wouldn't work where I live. In the city if the leaves are raked to the curb or side of the road the city has vac trucks that come by to pick them up for free. In the county everybody just burns them.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Two of the cities I work in have the curbside p/u. The other ones do not have it. They either have to bag them or take them to the dump themselves. In the cities that have it, I just place them at the curb for them to take. Way to many leaves on some of those properties for it to make sense for me to do it.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i do leaves pick up at curb side. i have a vac with box for my truck i get 50.00 per house. i have 15 houses that i pick up on one road .they do have a lot of leaves. i use it for fall and spring clean up
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice, how long does it take you to do the 15 houses? How many trips do you make to the dump? So you charge a flat fee of 50 per house, is it just you or do you have a helper with you??
Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if all the houses would have the leave to the curb at the same time that would to great. each house fills my truck up.some of the house i blow out the beds and they get the leaves to the curb.blowing out the beds is extra money they don't have blower.1/2 hour per house pick. dump is right round the block 3 minutes away and 5 minutes to drop. free dumping for us.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have total accounts of curb side 20 account and i have big banner on my truck saying cur side put and i get a lot calls. i have 35 spring and fall clean ups.3 week ago i got new f450 i will be building a new box. i think 3 to 4 house per load i hope will find out this year.stick in the leave are killer all my account keep sticks out of the leaves for me. i pick them up later they are trained
Old 08-21-2010, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get $100 min. It works out well driving around getting one time customer and regular maintenance piles the same day.

This year I will charge 125-150. One time piles are usually filled with big sticks and rocks from roads in disrepair
Old 08-23-2010, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
i have total accounts of curb side 20 account and i have big banner on my truck saying cur side put and i get a lot calls. i have 35 spring and fall clean ups.3 week ago i got new f450 i will be building a new box. i think 3 to 4 house per load i hope will find out this year.stick in the leave are killer all my account keep sticks out of the leaves for me. i pick them up later they are trained
Good luck with the new setup this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmgbo View Post
I get $100 min. It works out well driving around getting one time customer and regular maintenance piles the same day.

This year I will charge 125-150. One time piles are usually filled with big sticks and rocks from roads in disrepair
Thanks for the information. I agree the one time piles could be hard on the leaf vaccum that is for sure.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

today we had rain all day and rain until Thursday we need the rain. i started putting the sides on today