Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2010, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Lilac bushes...is now too late to prune?

Help. I'm in upper CT . I have some healthy lilac bushes that i've been asked to prune, but i'm not sure how long since the blooms died. I'm way afraid of killing any new blooms for next year. I know you're supposed to deadhead them as soon as they die off. I'm thinking maybe I should just leave them alone. Anyone have lilac experience out there? TIA
Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You will most likely remove some of the buds for next year if you prune now. What I would do is explain this to the customer, and then tell them that you will do a light pruning now just to neaten them up, and then next spring when they are done blooming, go ahead and prune them hard.

If your customer can deal without their lilac blooms next spring, put them on the winter pruning list and have at it.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on what they are like/ Even at this time, if you are taking out some of the older wood that doesn't produce that well, many times the benefits outweigh the few buds taken off would produce. It is the thinner, younger, more viable chutes that produce more. take the old stuff out, and it's that much more energy going to the good stuff.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Depending on what they are like/ Even at this time, if you are taking out some of the older wood that doesn't produce that well, many times the benefits outweigh the few buds taken off would produce. It is the thinner, younger, more viable chutes that produce more. take the old stuff out, and it's that much more energy going to the good stuff.
Yep what runner said. Take the dead out and do some light structural pruning. You will be good to go for a heavy trimming next year.

Remember to look at the overall structure of a plant before you prune. If you wreck the structure now it will never be prize plant material.
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all! I always get good solid advice here and it really is invaluable to a newbie like myself. Thx again
Old 08-22-2010, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How you prune lilacs is just as important as when. What are you trying to accomplish; maintain or reduce current size, rejuvenate an old shrub, etc?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Phast, the bushes are 4 yrs old, healthy and tall. The customer wanted them to stay tall. I already pruned them, removing the dead wood and some of the older outside stalks to keep them growing tall. I think I did it right. Thx for replying.