Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

IPhone, Droid, Etc.

So....one of the property management companies I deal with suggested I upgrade to one of the smart phones in order to upload photos, connect with the internet, and read email while out in the field.

I work with three out-of-the-area firms maintaining forclosures and typically upload my before and after photos at the end of the day.

I use a cell for everything else.

Does anyone out there currently use a smart phone for work?

Has it helped?

Has it hindered?

Is it worth the cost of the machine and the additional data access fee?
Old 08-23-2010, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Please Note:There is no phone on the market that compares to the iPhone. Some may say otherwise, these people either have never had one or didn't know how to use the one they had.. Anyone that is mechanically incline is fascinated by it's capabilities...

97' ISUZU NPR (16' bed)
John Deere F687 60" 7iron w/MCS
John Deere GS30 36"
John Deere GS45 48"
John Deere JS45 21"
Stihl FS80 Pro Trimmer
Stihl FS46 Trimmer
Stihl BG55 Blower
BRD-280 Bed Redefiner
Echo PE-280 Stick Edger
Echo SHC 212 Hedge Trimmer
Bluebird 24" De-Thatcher
Olathe 88 Plug Aerator
Gatormade 6x18 Trailer (custom)
Yard Machines walk-behind Edger
Craftsman Lawn Vacuum/chipper
2-Homelite BP250 backpack blowers
McCullock FR56 Trimmer

Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny test View Post
Please Note:There is no phone on the market that compares to the iPhone. Some may say otherwise, these people either have never had one or didn't know how to use the one they had.. Anyone that is mechanically incline is fascinated by it's capabilities...
A Blackeberry compares to and exceeds the iPhone in many ways, battery life being one, email second. I have owned an iPhone 3GS and actually went back to a Blackberry because of the above reasons.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2010, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I personally like the droid operating system. It is just incredible. I recently cancelled my verizon after being a 15 customer, and went with Sprint which is nearly half the cost of what verizon wanted to charge - after they're $30 data plan fee and everything else. It is simply amazing.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

blackberry vs. iPhone is the same as Mac vs. PC. Having had both, here are the main differences:

-User Interface: Nothing compares to the iPhones ease of use. Nothing. Its touch screen and I think blackberry has 1 or so models that are touch screen.

-Practical: iPhone does have a lot of stuff you dont need but the App store for iPhone is better than any other app store out there. You can get an app for anything. I know black berry has apps but the money is in making apps for the iPhone, so this is what developers do first.

-Business: Edge to Blackberry, for email I think its a lot easier to use. The blackberry is more business oriented where the iPhone is more pleasure oriented.

In the end, iPhone does it for me. Zoom on camera, video, as well as all the other standard iPhone features. Cant be beat. Im not a die hard apple fan either, just for the phone.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Zoom on camera and video for blackberry, multitasking. BATTERY LIFE!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I personally like the droid operating system. It is just incredible. I recently cancelled my verizon after being a 15 customer, and went with Sprint which is nearly half the cost of what verizon wanted to charge - after they're $30 data plan fee and everything else. It is simply amazing.
So are you saying that Sprints data plan is cheaper than Verizons? I currently am with Verizon and have been trying to decide wether the smart phone is worth the price you have to pay or not.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think all of the carriers data plans are $30, my AT&T is...$30 is what they consider unlimited data.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-23-2010, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

The key item to note in the article you point out is that Iphone mail will only operate in true push mode if the email account you setup on the Iphone is setup to use Exchange Active Sync. IOS4 for the Iphone introduced the ability to connect to multiple Exchange based accounts thus allowing you to setup multiple push based email accounts (again if your mail provider provides active syncing). I have my google mail, yahoo mail, and company exchange server all setup as push on my Iphone. I get my company exchange email in 2-3 seconds and the google and yahoo mail in about 10 seconds.

All the above being said I still prefer the Blackberry for mail because Blackberry delivers the mail over their own network and the mail is encrypted end to end for security.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Blackberry Torch

Funny how each phone excels are different features. The newly releases Blackberry Torch ( http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberrytorch/ ) certainly has added a lot of Iphone style features including the touch screen while still maintaining a new slide out keyboard and improved audio and video features. On the other side the latest Iphone IOS4 has added support for multitasking of applications (something that was really needed) and better support for email. With each iteration each of the two platforms features become more similar. The real killer could be the Google based Android phones with their openness for application development.
Closed Thread