The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2010, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

very slow ground speed
Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

The Grandstand is the ****!

It will eat grass for breakfast lunch dinner and more. LOL I have currantly 6 of these with 3 wright standers also. The z's will sit most of the time. They are not good for WB unless its mild terrain. And they will cut 1/3rd of grass blade at 6mph with sharp blades nicely. Way fun and will leave alot of burn outs on the grass so it takes some getting use to. Ive been on some real steap hills and slopes to where you need to stand on blade deck with one foot. But heck demo one! There not slow!!
Old 08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajslands View Post
I heard it looses all it's traction in walk behind mode
Posted via Mobile Device
walk behind should be limited to taking it off a truck or trailer, despite the advertising and hype, this is a stand-on mower, it is not and should not be considered a dual-use mower. plan on it being a stand-on only! i screwed myself by eliminating scag and others that were not advertised as dual use, i thought the dual use would be handy. turns out that it is not capable. in light of this, consider other makes that are stand-on only because this is all it seems the grandstand is capable of doing...and reverse performance is anemic and uneven. it's a mystery with Toro and my dealer but it is annoying and something i will have to live with apparently. considering it has mirror image pumps, motors and controls i can't imagine why it cannot be adjusted to operate smoothly in reverse. i am not talking fast, just even so i don't travel in circles in reverse. if there is a slight grade that you wish to back up out of forget it, there's nothing positive about the reverse action of the grandstand in this situation. in my opinion this is a design or customer service flaw, but should not exist. i am an individual so my aresnal consists of one toro grandstand, but if i were a fleet operator, i would still only have the onegrandstand...fool me once. by the way i am referring to a 2010 24hp 48" unit.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteryman View Post
walk behind should be limited to taking it off a truck or trailer, despite the advertising and hype, this is a stand-on mower, it is not and should not be considered a dual-use mower. plan on it being a stand-on only! i screwed myself by eliminating scag and others that were not advertised as dual use, i thought the dual use would be handy. turns out that it is not capable. in light of this, consider other makes that are stand-on only because this is all it seems the grandstand is capable of doing...and reverse performance is anemic and uneven. it's a mystery with Toro and my dealer but it is annoying and something i will have to live with apparently. considering it has mirror image pumps, motors and controls i can't imagine why it cannot be adjusted to operate smoothly in reverse. i am not talking fast, just even so i don't travel in circles in reverse. if there is a slight grade that you wish to back up out of forget it, there's nothing positive about the reverse action of the grandstand in this situation. in my opinion this is a design or customer service flaw, but should not exist. i am an individual so my aresnal consists of one toro grandstand, but if i were a fleet operator, i would still only have the onegrandstand...fool me once. by the way i am referring to a 2010 24hp 48" unit.
I geuss its what you like and what performs the most efficant for the cost etc. But I do excavation and landscaping also and I fill that ALL hyrdo controls are operator's skill. Meaning in reverse its differant than your every hour foward sure, its going to need to be feathered and the operator will need too adjust. Thats a good operator. I can take one of my best trackhoes and run it so smooth then jump straight in a shitty john deere and run it just as smooth. All controls take skill and some people dont have the cordination or steady hands. It shows when you look at there stripeing. After a year on a stander you'll never want to use that milky controled z again. HEHE All dealers will sell you whatever you look at first.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=GrandMaster;3676669]I geuss its what you like and what performs the most efficant for the cost etc. But I do excavation and landscaping also and I fill that ALL hyrdo controls are operator's skill. Meaning in reverse its differant than your every hour foward sure, its going to need to be feathered and the operator will need too adjust. Thats a good operator. I can take one of my best trackhoes and run it so smooth then jump straight in a shitty john deere and run it just as smooth. All controls take skill and some people dont have the cordination or steady hands. It shows when you look at there stripeing. After a year on a stander you'll never want to use that milky controled z again. HEHE All dealers will sell you whatever you look at first.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your input, grandMaster. You speak from experience. I admit that I am new to hydro controls and to this machine, and I have been able to overcome some of the shortcomings of the Toro grandstand by manipulating the controls. What you said was never uttered to me by either Toro or the dealer. It's as if they would be betraying the marketing division by admitting that that is the way the controls should act in reverse. I've stated this before, but if they would at a minimum admit that the reverse controls are not ever going to operate as smoothly as the forward controls i would not be happy, but I would at least respect them. As it stands, I feel like I purchased the stereotypical used car from the slick salesman who used every trick in the book to get it to drive off the lot!I am sure that i will overcome some of the issues by putting hours on the machine, but as I said, when my dealer and Toro act as if they recognize a problem but cannot resolve it, then I feel like I got screwed good. Thanks again for your comments above.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=mysteryman;3676958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster View Post
I geuss its what you like and what performs the most efficant for the cost etc. But I do excavation and landscaping also and I fill that ALL hyrdo controls are operator's skill. Meaning in reverse its differant than your every hour foward sure, its going to need to be feathered and the operator will need too adjust. Thats a good operator. I can take one of my best trackhoes and run it so smooth then jump straight in a shitty john deere and run it just as smooth. All controls take skill and some people dont have the cordination or steady hands. It shows when you look at there stripeing. After a year on a stander you'll never want to use that milky controled z again. HEHE All dealers will sell you whatever you look at first.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your input, grandMaster. You speak from experience. I admit that I am new to hydro controls and to this machine, and I have been able to overcome some of the shortcomings of the Toro grandstand by manipulating the controls. What you said was never uttered to me by either Toro or the dealer. It's as if they would be betraying the marketing division by admitting that that is the way the controls should act in reverse. I've stated this before, but if they would at a minimum admit that the reverse controls are not ever going to operate as smoothly as the forward controls i would not be happy, but I would at least respect them. As it stands, I feel like I purchased the stereotypical used car from the slick salesman who used every trick in the book to get it to drive off the lot!I am sure that i will overcome some of the issues by putting hours on the machine, but as I said, when my dealer and Toro act as if they recognize a problem but cannot resolve it, then I feel like I got screwed good. Thanks again for your comments above.
I know its like apples to apples but when I can get 4 grandstands on a 20' tex HOA's and condo's are wicked fast. I own 6 toro grandstands and 3 wright standers. There nice in differant ways but the guys love them and really a smiple and basic system. Easy to work on. Only thing I hate is getting under the deck. Which ive found the sercret to ______ A 48" high lift hand man jack fits perfect under deck when raised, just need to handle the tires rolling back and forward. 48' deck or 52" is great less clogging and the torbo force will mow at full speed its rolled lip and deck is very nice for mulch or bagging.. Heck I can get them for 6500.00 to fleet.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Member

i currently have a 52 wright stander and im thinking about selling it to buy a grandstand what are your thoughts? thx!
Old 08-29-2010, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why sell the Wright? The GS can't hold a hill like the Wright can.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea the only thing I was thinking whas being able to adjust deck height and walk if need be!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfbuilder View Post
Why sell the Wright? The GS can't hold a hill like the Wright can.
Ya sell the Wright there service sucks and it dont perform like a toro! It will hold hills better trust me. The tires at 8lbs psi bag up hill its scary what I go on. The new stands are so nice Im getting 2 more this year.